Emby Docker Image Install

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
Happy New Year everyone, hoping this is a fairly simple question (even if the answer might be that it's not possible yet being an Alpha release).

I recently had a stuff up in my TrueNAS CORE install, so instead of bothering with a re-install I figured I'd get my self future proof with SCALE. So far have managed to get it all to work on my HP Microserver box, with ability to connect from Windows, but now am trying to install an Emby Server on the system.

There isn't a pre installed app yet (like for Plex), so first, are these initiated by the developers from the other app end, or from your end? It doesn't sound like anyone in the Dev team on Emby forums is using TrueNAS, so they don't seem to test it a lot.

If not, from what I gather there is a way to install the files manually through the Docker Image? (https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver)
I have no linux experience so hoping someone can provide some instructions on what I need to put in the various fields in the installer for this to work? Or is that not how Docker works?

Not in a massive hurry, as happy to just use Windows Share for the time being, so happy to wait for the RC next year, and also ask on the Emby forums if needed.

Thanks.

KrisBee

Wizard
Happy New Year to you. Seems like a brave decision to jump from TrueNAS CORE to TrueNAS SCALE for someone with limited linux/docker experience when SCALE is in a state fo flux. Not sure why you think this is "future proofing" when iXsystesm have repeatedly stressed FreeBSD based products are not going away, There are lots of forum threads with help/hints about getting Emby Server up and runing either as plugin or in a manually created jail in FreeNAS & TrueNAS CORE. I'd be inclined to sort out the stuff up and stick with TrueNAS CORE.

ornias

Wizard
Happy New Year to you. Seems like a brave decision to jump from TrueNAS CORE to TrueNAS SCALE for someone with limited linux/docker experience when SCALE is in a state fo flux. Not sure why you think this is "future proofing" when iXsystesm have repeatedly stressed FreeBSD based products are not going away, There are lots of forum threads with help/hints about getting Emby Server up and runing either as plugin or in a manually created jail in FreeNAS & TrueNAS CORE. I'd be inclined to sort out the stuff up and stick with TrueNAS CORE.
I agree with this assessment.
While SCALE isn't unstable, getting your docker things to work really takes some knowhow at the time and to be fair, the few(?) people here that all know how to do it, don't have the time to give Helm/K8S 101 every day... (considering Helm and K8S natively, without the Apps UI, aint easy at times).

That being said:
Apps can be created by everyone that wants to and has the knowhow.
Jellyfin is actually on my to-do-list.
Emby can go insolvent for all I care, after the stunts they pulled.

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
Thanks for the help guys :)

Yeah maybe a good idea to go back to Core, but my knowledge of BSD is as bad as Linux, I'm mainly a windows user.

Might stick with it for now as I like the new UI more, and my server is literally only used for windows share and a media browser. Keen to check out Jellyfin once that's live as I haven't heard of it before and I love the idea of open source. Didn't realise Emby did something bad recently, so have no issues with moving to another client.

dracozny

Dabbler
I was considering Jellyfin but with no Samsung Tizen support I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Other than going closed source for the core and some spotty support I am unaware of any egregious stunts from Emby...
With that said Emby spent time building a docker so unless there are some huge disparities between Scale and Ubuntu in the docker realm I would think it should be viable.

ornias

Wizard
To be honest, Jellyfin vs Plex is a stereotype example of "rock and a hard place", for example hardware transcoding: Plex supports CPU failover, Jellyfin does not. Plex supports more encoding standards for direct streaming in their app, Jellyfin requires DIY apps to use more encoding standards for direct streaming....

Rock. Hardplace.
I honestly don't know and will stick with my life-time plex sub i bought years ago for now.

shadofall

Contributor
Its a matter of needs on if it's a rock/hard place scenario. Since I have no need for streaming outside my network. I went with (currently) an emby setup as a back end and emby for kodi with kodi running on shields. (I still can stream out of the network if wanted with emby but I never do)I'll be switching it to use jellyfin as the backend however. Downsides of course is kodi is a little more cumbersome to setup. And it means extra devices on each tv.. but with 1 dumb tv. And 2 smart tvs with different OSes it was a small price to pay for me. Jellyfin is still young but seems to be progressing nicely

dracozny

Dabbler
Considering Core and previous I have had to deviate hard from the plugins due to update-ability in jails. I expect to do the same here. My main use case for Truenas has been ZFS in the kernel and then install whatever apps I need manually in a jail or in a VM when FreeBSD just can't fill the need.

Thank you, Ornias for the insights on some of Jellyfin's quirks. If it were just me in the house then I might put up with Jellyfin or Plex. But I have a full household of people that need things to just work. Hence I'm trying to ditch Kodi and move to polished smart tv apps as Kodi has just been a glitchy PITA lately. Plex has issues with properly identifying Media and then there is the lack of plugin support. Jellyfin obviously is still begging Samsung to publish their app and doesn't sound promising. Emby still checks all my boxes, plugins, reasonable media management, Local license support for multi-user (Plex:no internet, no login), Samsung Tizen app, etc...