Emby docker reset after reboot

MorMadness

Cadet
First off, running TrueNAS Scale 22.02.0.1 and I tried to install emby server via the truecharts app and was able to get it to work except casting to chrome within my network. this is due to my lack of total understanding of K3s. The emby server kept getting blinded to the K3 network and not my local network so while I could access the interface via the K3 port it would not cast. This may or may not be a bug, I am just not savy enough to know.

Sooooo, now on to a real problem. I then decided to install emby via the docker image and it works perfect, have no issue WHILE IT IS RUNNING, it casts fine to all my devices. The second you restart the docker or reboot the server emby is reset to default settings. Yes, any restart of the app or restart of the TrueNAS server will erase all configurations and I have to setup the emby server again. which i have backups so it only takes me about 5 mins to get it back, however it takes over an hour to rebuild all the libraries. it is really annoying that anytime you restart the app it clears, is this a bug or have I configured this incorrectly?

MorMadness

Cadet
thanks for the question, TNS docker image doesn't have that setting in the list that I can see. However I should clarify, that ONLY the config settings with emby gets cleared.

IP set in docker - stays - doesn't get erased
Storage links mounted from host to docker - stays - doesn't get erased

once I setup user and configure emby to use - that gets erased.

1) take a clean docker and install app.
2) give image repository, IP address and storage from host to the app in "Launch Docker Image"
3) start app
4) login to app via IP address and it asks you to setup app, first time running
5) setup app and pull backup from mounted storage
6) everything runs great

7) reboot server, close and restart the app or do anything (basically sneeze) and you are back at step 4

its like the configs are put in RAM and not saved on the disk or app info in the ix-applications directory.

My instincts was the pull policy, and i could live with this happening every time on a update, as that shouldn't happen to often, but not every restart or change. But not sure if it is that either as I have changed that setting to "Never pull image even if it's not present on host", It was set to "only pull image if not present on host", but the reset of settings is still happening.

MorMadness

Cadet
Well I would rather use the TrueCharts (TC) version as that was stable and worked perfectly except it I could not get it to be seen by my local network for casting.

I could access the TC emby app via port 18096 (I assigned that port, irrelevant) and everything would work. In Emby though it would show the correct public IP however the LAN IP would be the K3 IP address. no matter what I did to overwrite that IP it would remain.

The issue is only a factor if you cast to a Chromecast device. If you have hard lined devices to your tv (kodi, WMS, Shield) it will play fine, I get that because you go through the host port of 18096 (or whatever you assigned). I have Chromecast devices at my TV's so that I can play (cast) anything to the tv, including emby via the emby app on my phone. When you open the emby app on the phone you can specify the port IP to access the app, which it works and you can play through the phone. when you try and cast to Chromecast, Chromecast tries to establish a direct link to the app and the app broadcasts the K3 address and therefor is inaccessible by Chromecast to stream. (K3 ip of 172.x.x.x is not accessible)

How do I get the TC emby app to be seen on my local network???

the docker does both. I gets a K3 IP address (172.x.x.x.) and I can configure an LAN ip address (10.x.x.x). once I first start the app it shows on the emby dashboard as LAN IP of 172.x.x.x and I get it correct by changing the broadcast LAN address in the Network settings of emby app itself to my LAN 10.x.x.x and then all is good, can cast on my network. I have tried the same thing with TC emby version and it bails out and no LAN IP address is allowed and only Public IP shows.

I am not sure if this is an actual bug or not as I am not a total guru of K3 or K8. I have tried over 30 possible combinations (I want to say every, however there might be something I am missing) to get the app to show on my local LAN. I have tried every combo under the "network and services" settings in the TC version. Every combo of " Simple", "ClusterIP", "NodePort (Advanced)" and "LoadBalancer (Advanced)" along with DHCP and static LAN IP addresses and nothing I tried would allow direct access to the app via the LAN. yes I can get to it through the port number I specify however the emby app will only show on the dashboard the K3 internal IP addresses of 172.x.x.x and not my LAN IP address of 10.x.x.x

MorMadness

Cadet
Call me crazy, I did another test on a backup server that is identical to the server I have and was able to get TC app to function correctly. I didn't think to test another server as it was clean install and other apps were working fine. Either that or I finally slowed down and filled in the correct info this time. UGGGHHHH wasted days on this.