how to make usb printer workable

justin82

Cadet
hi, I want to expose my HP printer to local network.

I tried 3 ways to install cups.

1. install cups via portainer (emby is workable) , but looks connection failed, even host network

2. setup a VM of openwrt, but can't passthrough USB port

3. the cups charts is in incubator train, I tried to enable helm and install, but still can't access

ps: I modified docker demon in last RC version, and it work fine.

now I had upgraded to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.3. and install some apps, I am worried about to break these or can't update.

so, does anyone experience to make printer workable?

homer27081990

Patron
Maybe, to make things more simple, you could try following this guide? By adjusting for latest editions and such, of course. I do not know how much time you have to spend and if its worth is equal to getting cups to work. As for the experience, well, I don't know how many people try to print through TrueNAS, instead of, you know, getting a network printer or buying a portable print server.

justin82

Cadet
Maybe, to make things more simple, you could try following this guide? By adjusting for latest editions and such, of course. I do not know how much time you have to spend and if its worth is equal to getting cups to work. As for the experience, well, I don't know how many people try to print through TrueNAS, instead of, you know, getting a network printer or buying a portable print server.
thanks for reply. I think it is totally different between core and scale.

as the topic mentioned, it can mount usb port in VM. like openwrt/usb printer.

it is not frequent to use printer, but just convenient, i don't need to plug and unplug usb:smile:

homer27081990

Patron
I am such a tinkering guy, and I know the thrill. The biggest thrill, though, is when the thing runs 10 straight years without even a sneeze. I don't mean to lecture, I've just been there with other peoples systems. They usually don't get the thrill. If its yours, go crazy man. If I had a printer get through 1 or 2 VMs and print from net, I would be thrilled too. But, for the purpose of being correct, and because others are reading these posts, the correct way to go is this.