Emby fails to load GPU

mijo311

Cadet
Hi there, I'm having an issue with Emby not loading the GPU I have installed. I'm running the Emby Official app and Scale is seeing the GPU I have allocated through the setup process. My issue is Emby is not recognizing it and is giving me this error when I check Emby's Hardware Logs. I've run the nvidia-smi and it sees the card installed but no processes are being leveraged on it. I've attached the log that Emby has that shows the GPU is detected but is failing to load. Is this a driver issue, or something else? I've tried to change some things in my BIOS to fix it per some other threads, reinstalled the app, and poured through the forums for a few days now and can't seem to find a fix for my issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"ProgramVersion": {
"Version": "5.0.0-emby_2022_05_27-u1",
"Copyright": "Copyright (c) 2018-2022 softworkz for Emby Llc",
"Compiler": "gcc 8.3.0 (crosstool-NG 1.24.0)",
"Configuration": "--cc=x86_64-emby-linux-gnu-gcc --prefix=/home/embybuilder/Buildbot/x64/ffmpeg-x64/staging --disable-alsa --disable-debug --disable-doc --disable-ffplay --disable-libpulse --disable-libxcb --disable-vdpau --disable-xlib --enable-chromaprint --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-iconv --enable-libaribb24 --enable-libass --enable-libdav1d --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libzvbi --enable-pic --enable-version3 --enable-libtesseract --enable-cuda-llvm --enable-cuvid --enable-libdrm --enable-libmfx --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc --enable-vaapi --enable-opencl --enable-cross-compile --cross-prefix=x86_64-emby-linux-gnu- --arch=x86_64 --target-os=linux --enable-shared --disable-static --pkg-config=pkg-config --pkg-config-flags=--static --extra-libs='-lm -lstdc++ -pthread'"
},
"Devices": [
{
"DeviceIndex": 0,
"DeviceInfo": {
"VendorName": "NVIDIA Corporation",
"DeviceName": "GM107GL [Quadro K1200]",
"SubsytemVendorName": "Hewlett-Packard Company",
"VendorId": 4318,
"DeviceId": 5052,
"SubsytemVendorId": 4156,
"SubsytemDeviceId": 4416,
"DevPath": "/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:0f:00.0",
"DrmCard": "/dev/dri/card0",
"DrmRender": "/dev/dri/renderD128",
"IsEnabled": 1,
"IsBootVga": 1,
"Error": {
"Number": -1,
"Message": "Failed to open the drm device /dev/dri/renderD128"
}
}
}
],
"Log": [
{
"Level": 40,
"Category": 0,
"Message": "Found 50 device entries"
}
]
}

indivision

Guru
Have you tested using the GPU via Plex? I think that is more worn ground. If it works there you could then deduce that the issue is somewhere within the Emby app instead of some other system problem.

mijo311

Cadet
I guess unfortunately for me, I don't have a Plex Pass so I'm unable to test that at the moment. But thanks for the idea. I'll look into that when I get some time shortly

indivision

Guru
You shouldn't need a Plex Pass to test that. Most of Plex works for free without the Pass.

mijo311

Cadet
I was poking around in Plex, which I've never used before today, and I had very few options available to me after installing the app. When I googled Plex hardware encoding options, the page I found from Plex said it was available to those with a Plex Pass. I'll take another look shortly.

mijo311

Cadet
I found the page, and it does say that the Plex Pass is required. This may be a more recent thing that was done, but it makes sense to me and is in line with how Emby has their Hardware Transcoding options. Short of doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of TrueNAS. I'm not sure what else I can try. It seems like the issue is that the emby app does not have permission to run the /dev/dri/renderD128 file. I'm not sure which user/group I would need to grant permissions to if this is the case. Is it a matter of running a chmod on the above mentioned file?

sfatula

Guru
I would actually suggest asking in the Emby forums. They created the original docker app I believe that the chart is based on. I am using Emby on Truenas, but don't have a GPU on the Truenas machine so not sure how exactly that works. They are fairly good about helping there. There seems to be some stuff people have to do when using the docker version to get a GPU to work, so, it could well be it's not all baked into the Truenas app either. Sounds like it is not from your description.

Emby has been super reliable for me once I got it all set up on Truenas, no issues at all. I use it for my library, but my biggest use is as a DVR.

indivision has a great idea there. If you can't test with Plex, then, try and find any other app that can use a GPU and test with it. Same idea. But I suspect there are some adjustments to be made to get the Emby app to work with GPU.

indivision

Guru
There seems to be some stuff people have to do when using the docker version to get a GPU to work, so, it could well be it's not all baked into the Truenas app either.

This part is pretty straight forward. There is a drop down for allocating GPU resources in the TrueNAS app options.

sfatula

Guru
This part is pretty straight forward. There is a drop down for allocating GPU resources in the TrueNAS app options.
Yeah, I know, but I see mentions of having to set environment variables, loading some extra software, etc with Docker Emby and GPU. Really not sure what is needed. That is what I was referring to, sorry was not clear.

indivision

Guru
I'll test it out now. I might switch to Emby myself since Plex seems to be stingy.

sfatula

Guru
Hah, I just noticed he (the OP) already posted on the Emby forums!

mijo311

Cadet
Yes, I posted to the Emby Forums shortly after trying plex with no luck. I've been trying to figure this out for about a week now. Everything else is working, file management, shares, cache and backups came right back from my QNAP install but I'm stuck in a holding pattern until I can hopefully get this resolved. Still no hits on the Emby Forums yet but I'm still searching and reading what I can, hoping something jumps out at me and triggers whatever chain of thought that will help me get this resolved. Thanks for the suggestions and help so far. I greatly appreciate it.

indivision

Guru
And I just discovered that Emby also requires a subscription to turn on hardware acceleration.

Stingy bastards are colluding! :wink:

mijo311

Cadet
And I just discovered that Emby also requires a subscription to turn on hardware acceleration.

Stingy bastards!
Yes they are. I've been using emby, according to my premeire license since January 2021. Back then I believe I paid $25 for the lifetime perpetual license. Now they have the same pricing model as Plex.

indivision

Guru
It looks like Jellyfin is a free fork of Emby. It appears to support hardware acceleration.

mijo311

Cadet
The Emby Forums didn't shed any new light on the issue for me, sadly. After trying for another week I ended up just installing Ubuntu and creating the ZFS pools there. Got everything working pretty quickly and consistently.

sretalla