Legacy Nvidia card preventing emby from starting - 22.12.0

Gaspode42

Cadet
Hi,

I had a working TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.0 system with a Ryzen 2400G CPU.

I upgraded my main PC so now had a spare Ryzen 3900X CPU available which I decided to repurpose by replacing the 2400G in the TrueNAS box.
The 3900X does not have on board video so I needed to install a PCI-e 1x GPU (the only slot available) so I can access the BIOS and/or console if needed. The only card I could buy was an Nvidia GT730 with 4 HDMI outputs.

The problem is now my Emby container wont start - it errors with the following:

Error: failed to start container "emby": Error response from daemon: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: error running hook #0: error running hook: exit status 1, stdout: , stderr: Auto-detected mode as 'legacy' nvidia-container-cli: initialization error: nvml error: driver not loaded: unknown

So I suspect what is happening is something is detecing the Nvidia GPU, then failing becasue the GPU is ancient.

I've disabled GPU support in Kubernetes Settings, but that had no effect.

Assuming that is the issue, is there a way to either tell Kubernetes to pretend the Nvidia GPU is not there so emby can start, or alternatively install legacy drivers to get past the nvml error?

Gaspode42

Cadet
Just an update. The particular GT 730 variant I have NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730] [10de:1287] is supported in the Nvidia 470 series of legacy drivers, but I'm unsure about the 460 drivers which I think are the current ones in SCALE?

Gaspode42

Cadet
Confirmed - regressed to Angelfish and the new Nvidia card started working fine. Appears that Bluefin has Nvidia 515.x.x series drivers which do not support "Legacy" cards

makanimike

Cadet
I am facing this same issue. I have disabled GPU Support, as well.

Only minor difference is that I have it with Jellyfin.
Would really like this to be fixed/handled like it was in Angelfish. I literally bought a plain GT710 barely a month ago just to get it to work, and currently that would have been a waste of money. And options for the small GPU slot in the case are few.

Gaspode42

Cadet
If you go to the linked bug ticket I have posted an unsupported workaround there (manually switching to 470.x.x drivers)

Edit: Hmm, it looks like that ticket has been deleted/hidden. Not sure if that's becasue the original poster withdrew it or my reply was not appropriate. PM me if you want to know how to revert to the 470.x.x Nvidia drivers, but note that it is unsupported and is at your own risk.

Last edited:

makanimike

Cadet
I am about 4 weeks into owning a self-built NAS and tinkering with TrueNAS Scale. I updated to Bluefin about 2 weeks ago and have done nothing but troubleshoot since then. I am tired :)
I was about to kill it all and start from scratch. But while preparing my backups to do that I ran into more issues yesterday. And while fixing those, I miraculously got my system stable again. Except for this Jellyfin issue.
So, I will skip this unsupported work around. I am tired.

I will either wait for a fix and for the system to accept older nvidia GPUs again. Or I will just bite the bullet, throw another 150 bucks at the build, and buy a newer GPU, and sell the GT710.

Gaspode42

Cadet
Fair enough. If you go Nvidia for your next card, maybe make sure you get one that is supported by 515.x.x, and preferably a newer card as it is less likely to be relegated to the "legacy" driver release by Nvidia. (uness they come up with a fix in the meantime)

makanimike

Cadet
definitely. I would get a current card. Only problem is that the market for single slot GPUs seems rather limited. Anything available (and not pro server grade) already seems to be a generation or two old, afaik.

The main take away for me from this is, it seems I had a basic misunderstanding. I had thought I could use Jellyfin (and the server as a whole) without a GPU. Which is why I only got the very basic and why I skipped an integrated processor for lower power draw and lower cost.

Gaspode42

Cadet
Oh I think you *should* be able to. You can run jellyfin without a GPU. The issue is the docker container aborts becasue it detects an Nvidia card but the Nvidia driver doesn't load. Rather than falling back to "ok you have no GPU i'll keep loading" it throws in the towel and says "This GPU is critial to my continued existence." Hopefully either they patch the GPU detection but no driver = abort loading, or allow installation of previous drivers.

makanimike

Cadet
that makes me more hopeful that they won't just thrown this issue down to the bottom of the list :)