Downgrading m1015/lsi9211-it firmware questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanVanVan

Patron
I just logged on to FreeNAS (trying to track down my Listen Queue Overflow problem) and just noticed a pulsing yellow alert (after upgrading to 9.3 a couple months ago, I finally saw the alert) with two messages:
Code:
WARNING: Firmware version 18 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0
WARNING: New feature flags are available for volume volume1. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" section of the User Guide for instructions.

I'm going with fixing #1 first. I've searched and think I got a handle on it, but I just wanted confirm a couple of things.

1. I'd rather not lose all of my data lol. Shutting down my server and unplugging the breakout cables (2) from the m1015 card, won't cause me to lose my data?

2. I followed the "servethehome" guide when initially cross flashing my m1015 card into LSI9211-it mode. One post I read said I would need to use "Megarec -cleanflash 0" to erase my current (newer) firmware, another I saw said that since I initially used that command I only have to do "sas2flash -o -e 6" (and also the command about my sas address "sas2flash -o -sasadd 500605Bxxxxxxxxx"). Can I use the sas2flash to erase my current firmware?

Thanks

edit: Just to add this, here's what I'm planning to do. I formatted a 8gb usb stick to FAT32 with a MBR, put the p16 firmware (2118it.bin) as well as the p16 UEFI installer(sas2flash.efi) on it. And will run these commands:
Code:
sas2flash -listall             to show the controller and verify the current version.
sas2flash -o -e 6              to erase the BIOS, do not reboot after this command.
sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin     to write the new firmware.
sas2flash -o -sasadd 500605Bxxxxxxxxx
sas2flash -listall             to confirm firmware version

Last edited:

leenux_tux

Patron
EvanVanVan

Have a read of this "http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25891.0".

I had all sorts of fun and games trying to get my M1015's updated getting "Failed to initialize PAL" error messages when trying to run the update from a "Legacy" boot and not from UEFI boot. I'm not saying you will run into these issues but the web page is well worth a read.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Thanks for the link, nothing too different than I had already seen, but either way I (and my data) survived. I'm successfully downgraded to P16 firmware, and the alert is gone...On to warning #2, searching commencing.

danb35

Hall of Famer
On warning 2, 9.3 has added some ZFS features, and wants to upgrade your pool to enable those features. The process is easy and safe, but will preclude your using your pool with 9.2 or earlier.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Yep, I read that in the guide and as it said, the process took less than a second. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.