Crossflashing LSI 9211 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilez

Guru
I've got a 9211-8i on my new build (9.10). I found it had the old outdated firmware, got the latest fw (P20) from Avago (2118it.bin), and managed to mount a USB stick with the file on it, under FAT32. I used sas2flash -fwall <mnt_path>/2118it.bin to update it, which part-worked. What I get now from sas2flash -listall is:

Num Ctlr FW Ver NVDATA x86-BIOS PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 SAS2008(B2) 16.00.00.00 10.00.00.07 07.31.00.00 00:04:00:00
1 SAS2008(B2) 20.00.07.00 14.01.00.08 No Image 00:07:00:00

I don't understand why the card is displaying as two controllers - are there actually 2 controllers on the card (one controller per 4x port)?
Also I don't understand why the two controllers it's displaying wouldn't be on the same firmware.
(Now understood - see below)

Sas2flash gives a message that it "can't flash IT firmware over IR firmware" so it can't update the first controller. I understand this means I need to erase the existing firmware before updating the first controller listed, but the only guide I can find for it, involves using MSDOS/Windows. But I'd like to learn how to manage my FreeNAS install and do this natively in FreeBSD via the shell console if possible.

My question is, what's going on and what do I do?

UPDATE

Okay, at least I understand why it's showing two controllers. I checked in the BIOS, apparently the Intel 910 I've got for SLOG is powered by an LSI chip and sas2flash has 'helpfully' updated this to firmware P20. The other controller is my LSI 9211 HBA card, still on firmware P16. So my further question is, has this caused a problem with my SSD card, and why is the 910 now showing four 200GB devices under camcontrol devlist when it's only a 400GB card?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So my further question is, has this caused a problem with my SSD card
That's a good question.
and why is the 910 now showing four 200GB devices under camcontrol devlist when it's only a 400GB card?
It's supposed to only have two controllers on the 400GB model. That could be explained by each controller actually being two somewhat-independent controllers in one package.
As for the total capacity, aprently Intel overprovisioned these things by 100%.

I get the distinct feeling that most of the magic happens in custom firmware for the SAS2008, so your SSD is not in a usable state, unless you feel like hacking around (not for the faint of heart). Definitely investigate how to get the proper firmware back.

And, next time, check the SAS address of the controller you want to flash. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.