IBM M1015 card giving critical error

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I have installed this card and flashed the firmware to 20.00.04.00 firmware.
LSI Mega 9240-8i SAS SATA LSI00200 8-port Server RAID Controller Card IBM M1015

As I was going through the process, all the commands went successfully with no errors or fail messages.
I booted back into Freenas 9.10, and got this: CRITICAL: June 2, 2016, 4:24 p.m. - Update failed. Check /data/update.failed for further details.

This is a copy and paste of sas2flash -list

Output from shell:

Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2008(B2)
PCI Address : 00:01:00:00
SAS Address : **********
NVDATA Version (Default) : 14.01.00.08
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 14.01.00.08
Firmware Product ID : 0x2213 (IT)
Firmware Version : 20.00.04.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9211-8i
BIOS Version : N/A
UEFI BSD Version : N/A
FCODE Version : N/A
Board Name : SAS9211-8i
Board Assembly : N/A
Board Tracer Number : N/A

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
Exiting SAS2Flash.
[root@freenas ~]#

Sakuru

Guru
CRITICAL: June 2, 2016, 4:24 p.m. - Update failed. Check /data/update.failed for further details.
I believe that's from FreeNAS's OS update mechanism, not your HBA. System --> Update

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

avalon60

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well when I flashed the card I didn't use the mptsas2.rom part. Should I have done?
It's unnecessary. That just flashes the BIOS extension ROM (there's also the UEFI extension ROM, with P20), which, in IT mode, gives you access to such features as:
  • View the LSI SAS2 devices on your system and attached disks.
  • Staggered spinup configuration

Borja Marcos

Contributor
I even found a case where the BIOS was detrimental: our IBM X Series servers hang on boot when these LSI2008 cards have a BIOS. That happens even though I configured the server to ignore the BIOS from the PCIe riser. The only cure was to erase the BIOS, only installing the actual firmware.

Unless you need to boot from that card it shouldn't be a problem.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I even found a case where the BIOS was detrimental: our IBM X Series servers hang on boot when these LSI2008 cards have a BIOS. That happens even though I configured the server to ignore the BIOS from the PCIe riser. The only cure was to erase the BIOS, only installing the actual firmware.

Unless you need to boot from that card it shouldn't be a problem.
Was that with the P16 or P20 BIOS? If the latter, BIOS, UEFI or both extension ROMs?

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Was that with the P16 or P20 BIOS? If the latter, BIOS, UEFI or both extension ROMs?
Both. Those IBM servers are rather weird (and the support by IBM awful, but that's an entirely different story).

The only way to make them work was to nuke the BIOS/UEFI and just leave the firmware in place. Not that I mind, but it caused quite a waste of time.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Both. Those IBM servers are rather weird (and the support by IBM awful, but that's an entirely different story).

The only way to make them work was to nuke the BIOS/UEFI and just leave the firmware in place. Not that I mind, but it caused quite a waste of time.

Yeah, some of us like to be able to see the drive inventory prior to booting into the OS, and some other minor functionality is available with the BIOS, but obviously the instant it becomes an insurmountable obstacle, it can and should be nuked.

avalon60

Guru
Today I moved one of the WD NAS drives connection from the motherboard to the LSI 2008 card I installed yesterday. I then made a backup of the system and installed a Sandisk SSD drive with FreeNAS already installed on it.
After FreeNAS came back up after a reboot , I uploaded the previously made backup and then waited for the system to come back up again.

Now I am getting this Error message: WARNING: Firmware version 20 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0

I am also getting this when I want to view the disks: Unable to load /api/v1.0/storage/disk/ status: 500

I can't see what /dev/mpso is referring to, but it maybe the LSI cardor is it the SSD drive ?? The card was not giving any errors yesterday.

This is a copy and paste from the shell output using sas2flash -list

Copyright (c) 2008-2012 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2008(B2)
PCI Address : 00:01:00:00
SAS Address : ***********
NVDATA Version (Default) : 14.01.00.08
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 14.01.00.08
Firmware Product ID : 0x2213 (IT)
Firmware Version : 20.00.04.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9211-8i
BIOS Version : N/A
UEFI BSD Version : N/A
FCODE Version : N/A
Board Name : SAS9211-8i
Board Assembly : N/A
Board Tracer Number : N/A

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
Exiting SAS2Flash.
[root@freenas ~]#
Anybody please?

Update: I disconnected the SSD drive and reconnected the USB boot drives. Now there is no error messages when FreeNAS is backup and running. It must be the SSD drive then.
The whole reason for getting the said card was because someone said booting from a SSD is faster, so to do that I had to get the LSi card. Aaaargh!

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Today I moved one of the WD NAS drives connection from the motherboard to the LSI 2008 card I installed yesterday. I then made a backup of the system and installed a Sandisk SSD drive with FreeNAS already installed on it.
After FreeNAS came back up after a reboot , I uploaded the previously made backup and then waited for the system to come back up again.

Now I am getting this Error message: WARNING: Firmware version 20 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0
The Sandisk SSD has an older version of FreeNAS on it. It has version 9.3 (or older). If I recall correctly, FreeNAS went to the P20
driver with version 9.3.1
Go back to the 9.10 version and the error will go bye-bye;)

avalon60

Guru
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the USB drives and backups was with FreeNAS 9.3 and then upgraded to 9.10 by the FreeNAS GUI, and so that is why I put 9.3 on the SSD.

Also if I put 9.10 on the SSD and then try to upload the backup, it will complain about something?? is newer than what is on the drive. I can't remember exactly but that happened when I was using USB drives sometime ago now.

ethereal

Guru
if you have 9.3 on the ssd running now - upgrade using the gui to 9.10

if there are any errors in the upgrade process post them here.

you definitely need - firmware 20 - with 9.10 - they will match.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
if you have 9.3 on the ssd running now - upgrade using the gui to 9.10
:D
Aftersavingyourconfigurationfirst = ASYCF
Witness the birth of a new Acronym...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

avalon60

Guru
Thanks ethereal, that has sorted that little problem out. I should have known to upgrade to 9.10 before uploading the backup file...doh!

Now I am getting this warning :WARNING: June 3, 2016, 8:34 p.m. - smartd is not running.

If that is for the SSD drive, how do I start that?

I worked it out and it is running now

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.