SOLVED Flashing HP H220 SAS card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slovak

Explorer
Documenting for anyone else struggling and for Google.

Bought an HP H220 card per special. Using it with Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F in U-NAS 800. Build thread to follow.

Card came flashed to IT mode, but with firmware 15, which seems to be the last supported FW from HP. Went to Supermicro to download the latest FW - at this time PH20.00.07.00-IT.

Tried using both the DOS boot and utilities and UEFI, no meaningful difference.
Per other advice, either copy the SAS address off the card or get it from the sas2flash utility which also comes with FreeNAS.
Code:
sas2flash -listall
sas2flash -c 0 -list

Initially I wanted to apply newest firmware atop the existing one, but the card seems to be vendor locked-in.
Code:
# Erase ROM
sas2flash -o -e 7

# Apply new FW
sas2flash -f 2308T207.ROM

At which point the card complains of inability to verify, and quits. Yes, without ability to boot itself (the card) or without applying new FW. Did I just brick my HBA?

I don't think this step is needed. Just documenting how to revert back.
Went to HP for the original FW for H220 (FW15.10.09.00), and from that download I extracted H220_IT.FW and MPTSAS2.ROM. That's the original setup. Boot again (DOS or UEFI) and use the above 2 files (not the ones from newer firmware).
Code:
sas2flash -o -f H220_IT.FW -b MPTSAS2.ROM

Card is back to "stock" as it first arrived. Phew. Not bricked.

The trick to applying latest LSI/Supermicro firmware turned out to be an older version of the sas2flash utility - which presumably doesn't verify the white label manufacturer and just treats it as LSI 2308 chipset card.

Downloaded version 14 of the FW from Supermicro's "Previous Releases" section

Create DOS boot disk or UEFI directory with:
  • sas2flash (version 14.00.00.00)
  • 2308T207.ROM (latest version 20.00.07.00-IT)
Try it all again. Yes, using sas2flash (version 14) to apply version 20 firmware.
Code:
# Verify sas2flash version
sas2flash
# Output will indicate
# LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
# Version 14.00.00.00 (2012.07.05)

# Erase ROM
sas2flash -o -e 7

# Apply new FW
sas2flash -f 2308T207.ROM

# Register SAS address
sas2flash -o -sasadd XXXXXXXXXXX

Rejoice having the latest firmware on the H220 SAS card. Boot FreeNAS without complaints.

Last edited:

Daniels25143

Dabbler
Disregard post, I was having issues finding files referenced in post but wasn't reading closely enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.