Disabling VM Auto-start from recovery mode

flotueur

Dabbler
Hi team,

Due to a mistake configuring my VM, TrueNas Scale is now refusing to boot.
This is because my system disk is on a USB drive and I shared the USB controller it sits on with my VM.
Now, everytime TrueNAS starts, it kicks in the VM, set as Auto start and throw the following error message:
1696776492029.png

I have a plan on how to solve this strategically (go SSD!) but i would like to not have to reinstall TrueNAS.

Is there a way to simple disable the VM autostart from the recovery mode CLI?
I believe these must be a configuration file I can edit with VI? What is the path?

Regards,
Florian

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
@flotueur

Glad to hear you've managed to break the boot-loop cycle and restore operations; and thank you for documenting the steps you took for recovery for anyone in the future who might be stuck in a similar situation. I'll see if we can get this into a more easily searchable document!

Nicholas Flamy

Dabbler
I can't use the CLI with a keyboard plugged into the server because I passed through the USB controller to the VM and it auto starts. My network config is screwed up so I was gonna fix it but I can't.

Nicholas Flamy

Dabbler
I can't use the CLI with a keyboard plugged into the server because I passed through the USB controller to the VM and it auto starts. My network config is screwed up so I was gonna fix it but I can't.
I'm gonna either see if I can blindly shut down the VM (MacOS) or disable virtualizatiin in the BIOS so that the VM won't start.