VM with PCI-Passthrough won't boot after update to RC2

trivi

Cadet
After upgrading from RC1 to RC2 a VM with Home Assistant won't boot after starting TrueNAS. There is one USB-Controller attached as a PCI-Passthrough device to the VM. To work around the problem, I stop the VM, delete the device from the VM, add the device again and start the VM. Then the VM boots as usual before the update.

Steps to reproduce:

• Add a pci-passthrough device to a VM
  • Enable Autostart for the VM
  • Restart TrueNAS
  • VM won't boot
  • Stop the VM
  • Delete the pci-passthrough device
  • Add a pci-passthrough device to the VM
  • Start the VM
  • VM boots
I already reported a Bug, as suggested here (sorry, I did not read the Post very well, so first I reported a Bug and did not opened a thread first): https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-114005

Here is my config:
Bild_2021-12-25_161255.png

Bild_2021-12-25_161211.png

1640445226539.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
After upgrading from RC1 to RC2 a VM with Home Assistant won't boot after starting TrueNAS. There is one USB-Controller attached as a PCI-Passthrough device to the VM. To work around the problem, I stop the VM, delete the device from the VM, add the device again and start the VM. Then the VM boots as usual before the update.

Steps to reproduce:

• Add a pci-passthrough device to a VM

Could you let us know what the specific PCIe device is. Vendor & model.

Not clear whether its a generic PCIe pass-thru issue or a specific one. Has anyone else had issues?

trivi

Cadet
Could you let us know what the specific PCIe device is. Vendor & model.

Not clear whether its a generic PCIe pass-thru issue or a specific one. Has anyone else had issues?
I did some further testing: If I don't autostart the VM, the VM boots normally (manual start), as soon I autostart the VM with truenas, the VM won't boot.
My pci-device:
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 10)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Please add that to the jira ticket....
It sounds like a race issue.... the VM autostarts before the PCIe device is ready to pass thru??