Different Storage Screens

ChuckCorvec

Cadet
Hello

I am very new to TrueNas so please bare with me. After completing the initial set up, Create A pool and Datasets I end up with the following on my Storage Tab
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 11.47.07 PM.png

And if I click Manage Data Sets I get the following

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 11.49.59 PM.png

What is missing is the ability to drill down into the folders that are in each dataset. I have watched a lot of videos with different tutorials on how to set up TrueNas and most of them end up with the following after creating datasets and folders. This is only an example

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 11.52.13 PM.png

Note the navigation arrows beside the datasets. I know this is petty but I can not figure out how to accomplish this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 11.49.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 11.49.59 PM.png
    391.6 KB · Views: 54

Arwen

MVP
TrueNAS' GUI is for the FILESYSTEMS and POOLS, not any directories / folders you would want to create below the filesystems, (aka Datasets in ZFS terminology).

You would create shares, Samba or NFS, on those filesystems, (but NOT the top level filesystem / pool). Mount the share on your PC or laptop. Then, you can create all the directories / folders you want.

Their have been requests in the past to add a tool like Midnight Commander, or other GUI based file view to TrueNAS. But, that is somewhat out of scope for a NAS, NETWORK Attached Storage server.

If that is not what you meant, please clarify.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Their have been requests in the past to add a tool like Midnight Commander
Midnight Commander has been in TrueNAS for some time, but of course it isn't part of the web UI. iX has "accepted" a feature request to include a web-based file manager, but that was (IIRC) three years ago, so no idea when we'll actually see it.

NugentS

MVP
If using Scale - then add the filebrowser app.

Arwen

MVP
Midnight Commander has been in TrueNAS for some time, but of course it isn't part of the web UI. iX has "accepted" a feature request to include a web-based file manager, but that was (IIRC) three years ago, so no idea when we'll actually see it.
Right, I could not remember the name someone requested for a GUI file viewer. So I used MC instead thinking it was similar. But, now that you mention it, I recall MC being a TUI, (full SHELL window Text User Interface).

ChuckCorvec

Cadet
TrueNAS' GUI is for the FILESYSTEMS and POOLS, not any directories / folders you would want to create below the filesystems, (aka Datasets in ZFS terminology).

You would create shares, Samba or NFS, on those filesystems, (but NOT the top level filesystem / pool). Mount the share on your PC or laptop. Then, you can create all the directories / folders you want.

Their have been requests in the past to add a tool like Midnight Commander, or other GUI based file view to TrueNAS. But, that is somewhat out of scope for a NAS, NETWORK Attached Storage server.

If that is not what you meant, please clarify.

More than anything I wanted to know why on one installation of TrueNas Scale there was a 'Dashboard' and on another it looks like a explorer layout. The explorer layout would be far more useful to me as I can expand and collapse the datasets to see what lies below them

Arwen

MVP
More than anything I wanted to know why on one installation of TrueNas Scale there was a 'Dashboard' and on another it looks like a explorer layout. The explorer layout would be far more useful to me as I can expand and collapse the datasets to see what lies below them
Were they different versions of TrueNAS SCALE?

It would be far simpler to use the file explorer on your PC, than to log into a web GUI to examine directory structure.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
TrueCommand has got a file explorer feature for the managed TrueNAS systems.

ChuckCorvec

Cadet
Were they different versions of TrueNAS SCALE?

It would be far simpler to use the file explorer on your PC, than to log into a web GUI to examine directory structure.
True. But I am just trying to find out why there is a difference i the screenshots