Need help with permissions

jbarry14

Explorer
I am fairly new to TrueNas. I have TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3 installed.

We are a small design company. I have multiple users, both windows and mac. Our original server was a drobo. I built a TrueNAS core server and transferred all of the data over. Our server is about 7TiB of many folders and smaller files. I have had constant issues with permissions. I have tried multiple different things, and always come up with random issues saving over files, editing files, saving new files in a folder, etc. I have every computer currently logged in with the same username and password.

I would like an easy way to open the dataset to everyone on the network. To be able to go to any computer and save, edit, delete files without permissions problems popping up. I have tried following other guides and still end up with permissions problems.

I would appreciate any advice on how to get this problem resolved. Thanks in advance.

Go to the pool section in the GUI and find the data you are trying to access in this way. What user and group owns the data?

Id suggest allowing whatever user and group you are using to map the shares and to connect full control and own the files (datasets) in the pool in question. I assume that this is what you mean when all computers using same login (Truenas user)? You generally accomplish this by selecting the correct user (and group?) the apply permissions to both user and group recursively, and traverse option if there are child datasets. But you do have to be careful when doing this and be sure its the right data. It will warn you. Do some manual snapshots etc. Any new users you add just keep adding them to the same group.

jbarry14

Explorer
Go to the pool section in the GUI and find the data you are trying to access in this way. What user and group owns the data?

Id suggest allowing whatever user and group you are using to map the shares and to connect full control and own the files (datasets) in the pool in question. I assume that this is what you mean when all computers using same login (Truenas user)? You generally accomplish this by selecting the correct user (and group?) the apply permissions to both user and group recursively, and traverse option if there are child datasets. But you do have to be careful when doing this and be sure its the right data. It will warn you. Do some manual snapshots etc. Any new users you add just keep adding them to the same group.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I have done. Originally, I created a separate user for each employee and added them all to the group "wheel". I then made sure the group wheel had full control. But we soon had issues with different users not being able to edit/delete/open other users' files. So, I then logged all of the computers, both mac and windows in with the same user. That seemed to take care of most of the issues. I still have glitches with files here and there. Now, I have a windows 10 pro computer that will not login to the share. The only way to get the windows 10 pro computer to login to the share is to edit the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level". But that I have to do that everyday to get the computer to connect. That same computer also communicates with a CNC machine. When I edit that policy, it disconnects the CNC server. I am not sure how to keep the truenas share and cnc server connected to the windows 10 pro machine at the same time.

So I'm not in a multi user environment anymore (I was IT for a Design/Printing company, so sounds similar fields) but when I was, I just took care to add each user to the TN machine exactly as they were on the windows machines etc. Same name, username, password, email (if Windows user). Add them all to a created group "office" or similar. Then allow your personal user and your common created group to be the owner of basically all data that isnt system related. If using ACL style perms then allow both your user and common group full control of the datasets. Also in the users section for employees using Windows select Microsoft account and of course for all these users you need to tick the Samba Auth box as well.

I saw your other post from June as well. So if you have stripped ACLs and dont want or need multiple users then maybe you just need to unleash a
chown -R YOURUSER:YOURGROUP /mnt/DATASET/directory/files/in/question (Careful here, be sure)
chmod -R 777 /mnt/DATASET/directory/files/in/question from the CLI. Then in the shares section acl options make sure everyone and allow are the options. This should definitely get it done/open to everyone.

Last edited: