Datasets and CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So the debug file and dmidecode wasn't particularly useful. No more questions answered than before. It could be something obscure causing the ff's to be provided, but I can't say much more. You're kind of in this boat where you have to "believe" that ECC works without knowing for 100% certainty. It's about the same as AMD. It's impossible to prove AMD is actually using ECC because there's no tool that validates for 100% certainty. You could simulate an ECC error with dmidecode, but I'm not 100% convinced that it proves you are using ECC. /shrug

I know memtest 4.x+ says ECC or non-ECC, but again that's no indicator for 100% certainty (although plenty of people want to (and do) blindly say that it must be correct).

Is that memtest86+ v4.x and up, memtest86 v4.x and up or memtest86+ v4.x only?

solarisguy

Guru
[...] If in fact that is true, it seems to me that simply swapping out the CPU for a CPU that supports ECC with the 3420 chipset makes sense ( at least it seems like the easiest thing to do ) [...]
If you could borrow such a CPU and re-run the ECC test, then yes, that would be surely the best. ( In terms of our/your learning experience :) )

rwslippey

Contributor
If you could borrow such a CPU and re-run the ECC test, then yes, that would be surely the best. ( In terms of our/your learning experience :) )

If only I were so lucky....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is that memtest86+ v4.x and up, memtest86 v4.x and up or memtest86+ v4.x only?

It was the memtest86+ v4.x only. 5.x has the ECC/non-ECC comments removed.

On the most technical level, if you are using ECC RAM, the purpose of a memory test is mute. The memory controller is literally verifying every RAM read as the system runs, so it's perpetually checking RAM as it goes. If you are doing the long RAM test (aka disabled the quick boot option) the generic BIOS RAM test that occurs during POST should be sufficient to catch RAM problems. Even if it didn't, the first time there's a problem you should get memory ECC error emails (or the system would halt) and you'd know at that point that something needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.