Difference between SHARE using CIFS and actually creating a FTP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Kawahara

Dabbler
Still bumbling (floundering) about.

The Freenas 9.10 as it is uses SHARE via CIFS to one workstation. It is just a file archive. On the Windows 7 workstation, I access the Freenas computer doing START and entering the IP address of the Freenas computer, In the panel under NETWORK, I can see both shared volumes I have identified as Freenas01 and Freenas02. I have successfully created subfolders and copied files to it using both volumes.

In trying to further learn Freenas, I came across an article about Freenas as a file server using FTP as the protocol. The article shows a set-up and does not enable CIFS but the FTP service.

Question: What is the difference between access the Freenas volumes using CIFS SHARE and accessing Freenas if it was a FTP server. They seem to do the same thing with the exception that FTP requires the creation and administration of users and permissions whereas CIFS just requires that I connect using the IP address (realizing that this is way less secure but there is only me connecting and the second pc does not automatically see the Freenas computer unless I manually enter the IP address).

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
This is like asking what's the difference between Catholicism and Judaism. A lot but not really.
Very simply:
CIFS is designed for local file sharing.
FTP is designed for internet based file sharing.
And then there is WebDAV which kinda marries the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.