One directory shared with CIFS and FTP using different permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bram

Cadet
I have my first FreeNAS server up and running. I'm using FTP and CIFS and have SickBeard, SabNZBd, CouchPotato and Headphones running.

The RAID 1 ZFS volume I use for my shared files divided into datasets. Each of the installed plugins has access to some of the datasets. Every dataset is fully writable (777) and every plugin is configured to write files and folders with 777 permissions.

Every CIFS share hass full write acces since it's a home server and no restrictions are required and it keeps things simple.

Currently I'm setting up the FTP shares and I'm running into problems. I need to create several FTP accounts. Some of these accounts need to be able to access the same directories with different access rights.

directory: /mnt/storage/music
user 1: read-only
user-2: read and write

I can add a user, make him member of the FTP group and specify it's home directory to music. I can configure the home directory of user 1 to have read rights only and this works. But all other existing files and directories are still writable. I was expecting the rights applied to this users home directory to work as a mask over the existing files which clearly isn't the case.

How can I apply rights as a mask to the FTP users? Is that possible at all? I have very little experience with Unix but I've done this numerous times with FTP servers on Linux.

Thank you in advance. I'm loving FreeNAS!

D

dlavigne

It sounds like your Linux FTP servers were using ACLs. What command were you using to set the permissions in Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.