Ftp using AD users Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaror

Contributor
Hi All,

I have a FreeNas used as FTP + CIFS Share, the storage is part of the Active directory , i can assign permission to cifs share with no problem .
I have a need to use the ftp authentication also with Active Directory users , looking on help doc its little bit confusing
If you require your users to authenticate before accessing the data on the FreeNAS® system, you will need to either create a user account for each user or import existing user accounts using Active Directory or LDAP.
How do i import AD user and set it FTP access or its goes with folder NTFS permission
Is there any more detailed how to do it?
Please advise
Thanks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi All,

I have a FreeNas used as FTP + CIFS Share, the storage is part of the Active directory , i can assign permission to cifs share with no problem .
I have a need to use the ftp authentication also with Active Directory users , looking on help doc its little bit confusing

How do i import AD user and set it FTP access or its goes with folder NTFS permission
Is there any more detailed how to do it?
Please advise
Thanks
I believe you'll need to configure /etc/pam.d/ftp per instructions here: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html#id2654732

Not to be patronizing, but this is the point where you may want to think really hard about the security implications of what you're trying to achieve. With FTP you're going to be flinging domain credentials in the clear over the wire. This is bad. Potentially very bad. If there is even the slightest possibility of someone being able to pull of a MITM on a domain admin account, I'd go back to the drawing board.

I'd feel much more comfortable configuring SFTP (as in SSH File Transfer Protocol) and deploy / configure winscp. PAM and winbind are already configured in a way to let you do this (less mucking around with internals) and it's actually secure.

tbaror

Contributor
Hi,
Thank you very much for the advise ,
our ftp is already set as sftp authentication
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.