Odd FTP behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
I am having some strange behavior with the FTP service.

I currently have FTP setup using TLS and I made a couple new accounts and set their "home" directories to the root of my FTP directory. By enabling chown checkbox, this seems to limit those accounts to only those directories which is my desired behavior. Otherwise the FTP seems to give the users access to the entire data tree which is a bit bizarre...

Anyways, when I connect to the FTP service, it takes a very long time to get past:
Retrieving directory listing...

probably about 10-15 seconds. Externally it times out here.

Additionally, after choosing a large file to download (about 5GB) it starts the download at approx. 200 KB/s, and this seems to continually ramp up to about 50-60 MB/s.

I know my router can handle the traffic. And I know it should be insanely quick throughout the process (At least on my internal lan). Does anyone have any suggestions of some settings I could try?

-Wesley

icsy7867

Contributor
Figured it out... (with the help of this post)

Autotune set:
Code:
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack = 0

And this was apparently causing a 5-10 second delay while listing the FTP directories. Setting this back to the default of "1" causes the directory changes to be instantaneous again. I just need to make sure there is not a performance hit on my SMB shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.