FTP permissions problem with local groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

heimos

Dabbler
Hello,

I have a dataset vol1\main\cloud with the following permissions on SMB share. I created the following user FTPuser with FTP AUX group. He is able to browse and create files on this SMB share
upload_2017-4-18_7-25-57.png

I enabled FTP service with the following permissions settings:
upload_2017-4-18_7-28-30.png

When I try to FTP into this directory using authenticated user I see the following and get 550 error message ( I tried to adjust my permissions based on the other thread but no luck). I am not able to browse the directories.
upload_2017-4-18_7-29-31.png

When I try to connect with anonymous user, I am able to see and create file and directories. Obviously its the permissions issues, but I can't figure what it is.

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Don't allow default permissions, given that this is all being handled with FreeNAS, and possibly disable guest access. Make sure your new user is in the proper group assigned to the share, then try to log in with said users credentials. I haven't yet experienced that problem but it's a good place to start.

Now, you can disable anonymous logon in the FTP services settings if that's an issue. Also, in advanced mode on that same setting, you'll see file and directory permissions as well which you can tune to as a parent set of permissions. Also, if you could post the errors you're receiving it might help identify where the issue resides :)

heimos

Dabbler
Don't allow default permissions, given that this is all being handled with FreeNAS, and possibly disable guest access. Make sure your new user is in the proper group assigned to the share, then try to log in with said users credentials. I haven't yet experienced that problem but it's a good place to start.

Now, you can disable anonymous logon in the FTP services settings if that's an issue. Also, in advanced mode on that same setting, you'll see file and directory permissions as well which you can tune to as a parent set of permissions. Also, if you could post the errors you're receiving it might help identify where the issue resides :)

So I was able to get local users to work. However when I connect with Filezilla, I am being redirected to "nonexistent" directory. I have to drill down to get to the dataset that I need. So here is what it looks like from FileZilla
upload_2017-4-20_22-13-42.png

I am able to drill down an get to the dataset that I need, however I need to be able to connect to the right dataset right away. Here is what FTP settings look like:
upload_2017-4-20_22-14-50.png

Permissions in FTP
upload_2017-4-20_22-15-20.png

Dataset "MAIN" Permissions:
upload_2017-4-20_22-16-14.png

User's permissions:
upload_2017-4-20_22-17-21.png

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Account > Users > View Users, Navigate to your FTP user and set the home directory where you want the directories to start (ex. /mnt/vol1/main)

heimos

Dabbler
Account > Users > View Users, Navigate to your FTP user and set the home directory where you want the directories to start (ex. /mnt/vol1/main)
Thank you very much. That worked. Now my last obstacle is to figure out why I am am able to access and create directories and files in FileZilla (Windows), but when I do the same on the Mac I can only view the directories. Same username and password, but I am not able to drag and drop or create folders.
upload_2017-4-23_12-52-52.png

Status
Not open for further replies.