Setting up FTP user with multiple folder permissions in UFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

krossnik

Cadet
This post is written only beacuse I wasn't been able to find what I'm looking for all over the internet forums. Here we go:

Setup
CPU: Atom D2700
RAM: 2GB
HDD ext. 320GB (UFS formated, since ZFS demand more than I can give)
OS Freenas 8.2 release

I intend to use FreeNAS for:
1.) access and use HDD via CIFS (WIN shares)
2.) occasional backups via CIFS (I dont need RAID)
3.) download torrents via Transmission (and later copy files to computer via CIFS)
4.) DDNS
5.) FTP (sharing photos to my friends)

I was manage to do 1., 2., 3. and 4. with no problems and as I intend, so we won't talk about it.

And now the problem - FTP and multiple folder permissions...
I install FTP and test it with no problem - it works for one folder and its subfolders. Problem starts when I want to share multiple folders (10, 15 or more) on diferent locations to one user! Let me demonstrate:

we got 4 folders and 3 users

1. mnt/store/FTP/test1
2. mnt/store/FTP/test2
3. mnt/store/FTP/test3/test33
4. mnt/store/testfolder/test4/test44

user1 got permissions for 1.
user2 got permissions for 2., 3. and 4.
user3 got permissions for 1., 3. and 4.

I was able to solve permissions only for user1 (he's got only one folder) and unable for user2 and user3, beacuse I don't know how. I tried to collect them in group, since I can make group for each folder and then assign multiple groups to single user. But there is a problem - I don't know how to assign folder(s) to a group. I read on forums and that should work with datasets, but unfortunately that works only in ZFS and since I got UFS (low on hardware - read above) - that's why I'm asking for advice here on forum.

Now the questions:
1. can I solve this without formating disk from UFS to ZFS?
2. if ZFS is the only possibility, is my hardware enough strong for that task (since I don't need RAID)

I'm new to OS other then Windows, so detailed anwsers would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.