Trouble with simple SMB permissions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hi folks,

I have an SMB permission issue which I cannot solve and I need your help here.
Lets assume I have a share TEST and User1 and User2.
The share was created on a dataset, created with Windows permissions. Userpermissions are then changed to User1 als Owner and also Group1.
After this I mount the share and set share permission. But they do look like NTFS instead.
The permissions are Full control for User1 and Read+Write Permissions for User2.

When I now create a file with User1, User2 is able to see and modify/delete these files, the permissions are inherited. But when I do create a file with User2, User1 is not able to see that file. When I look at the permissions, User2 got all the permissions it is supposed to have, but User1 permissions are missing.

In the past I had managed this with another folder in that share, stop the inheritance from the share, and put all permissions (explicit) to that folder and inherit all subfolders from that folder.
But this is not working anymore. If I try to stop the inheritance on the folder, nothing happens...
Maybe there is another way to accomplish that, or I have an issue somewhere, but the only idea to workaround that, is to put the share-owner to User2 isntead of User1...

Any help would be appreciate.
Cheers
Ice

IceBoosteR

Guru
Thank you m0nkey_
From what I have seen I did everything correct (hooefully) - just the step where I want to convert inherited permissions into explicit ones (so the inherited from "WHEREEVER" is changed to none" is not working. It just do not show up...
When I am back home I may be trying this step by step what you have done, otherwise I may have other issues...

Edit: Maybe this is caused by the fact that after I have changed the permissions though Windows on the SMB level, I have pushed inheritance from the FreeNAS level afterwards, and this is messing things up. Just a thought on this.

IceBoosteR

Guru
@m0nkey_ I think I have a ton of grey hair now, but I don't have a solution to this.
I did exactly what you did in your tutorial, I even created a new dataset for it.
When user2 creates a file, user1 is not able to see it. Even on the FreeNAS system, with an "ls -lisa" I see that user1 is not the owner of the files, it is user2!
And user2 has then full control/access to that file, and only him.
I mean, how is that even possible?
I have no idea how to fix this, maybe you know some help?

Last edited:

IceBoosteR

Guru
I did now tried those attributes in the shares config, and it is not gonna work :(

Code:
inherit owner=yes
inherit permissions=yes

IceBoosteR

Guru
I think I solved it.
Added a bunch of extra attributes to the samba conf (through GUI) and at some time it worked.

I need to add as "Auxiliary Parameters:"
Code:
force user = user1
inherit owner=yes
inherit permissions=yes

Is this a bug???

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Is your dataset a UNIX or Windows type dataset? It needs to be Windows for ACLs to function correctly.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Is your dataset a UNIX or Windows type dataset? It needs to be Windows for ACLs to function correctly.
Hi,

double checked that, it's Windows on all Datasets.

Status
Not open for further replies.