folder sharing permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

av2systems

Cadet
Hi, i have looked ove the forums but still can't figure out how to setup simple file sharing with access permissions.

example i have 3 users
user1
user2
user3

now i want to setup 3 folders
folder1
folder2
folder3

i have managed to set this up so far.. but when i browse to the folders i need user1 only allowed access to folder1 and user2 only to folder2 and so on..
where do i put the permissions for the folder..
i have also played around with the dataset.. or do i create a dataset for every folder.

how do you set this up ? can someone please help?

matlock

Contributor
I'm in a similar situation.

To add some complexity - not only do I want specific users to specific folders, but I'd also like an "admin" group who's able to get to all the folders.

Ultimately- being able to assign multiple groups with varying privileges to each folder would be what I'm after.

It seems you can have one owner user, and one owner group- and then "other" which I'm assuming is the "everyone" option.

Each folder(1,2,3) are sub folders on my system- but if you assign permissions- and set recursively- they override the sub folders permissions. I've tried going to the share via a mapped network drive and adding another group from Freenas that I've setup but I can't seem to "discover" or find the groups I've created.

I may have to put up a win server 2008 r2 & active directory to try and fix this-

Thanks for any suggestions
Matlock

matlock

Contributor
Sorry AV- don't mean to "take over" your thread

If you used datasets to create those folders, you should be able to adjust permissions - will be an icon to the right "change permissions" or something. You can assign an owner user and owner group.

This should be what your after?

av2systems

Cadet
hi matlock,

im still stuck and can't get this folder thing worked out.

i cant create any permissions on the folder it self ?
do you know how to set this up please ?

matlock

Contributor
There should be a main volume name, what is it?

How did you create your folders?

matlock

Contributor
AV-
What I did was create a primary volume, that included ALL my disks in a raidz configuration.

Then, under storage, created a ZFS dataset - One for pictures, downloads, videos... etc.... (Here is documentation on zfs datasets & zfs volumes - http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Creating_ZFS_Datasets)

While in the storage tab/window- you can see an icon with disks and a key above it- hovering over it will say "change permissions" this is where I selected the owner user and owner group.

laurb

Cadet
Hi. From webgui console (or from ssh) you must set folders owner:

chown user1: folder1
chown user2: folder2
chown user3: folder3

and after that

chmod -R 700 *

means that user can acces only coresponding folder

regards,

av2systems

Cadet
hi Laurb,

i still have no idea what you mean by chow user1: folder1
and chmod - R700.. what does all that mean ?

all i have is 3 users

user1
user2
user3

and want each to have they own folder
folder1
folder2
folder3
folder4

folder1 can only be accesses by user1 and
folder1 can only be accesses by user2 and
folder1 can only be accesses by user3 and
and folder4 everyone can have access

can you help in simple english WEB gui language please ? sorry for been such a pain..

Status
Not open for further replies.