Device does not seem to be functioning...?

Try mapping to either of the shares in the attachment eg. \\IP\calebnas

Is your PC a laptop? If it is, does it have an ethernet port? Assuming YES to both these questions, if you plug your PC directly into the router can you then map to the shares?

That's the issue. I have the share set up, however, the only thing that Windows will accept is \\(IP address)\root , and it will let me map that, but as soon as I try to access the folder, it gives me an error telling me a device attached to the system is not functioning, or something along those lines.
This is a red herring. Hence the nonsense output.

Chesse

Explorer
It's a gaming/workstation desktop. I don't have a place to put it upstairs. Also, I did try using a separate router and connecting my PC and server into it, but when the NAS booted, it told me something along the lines of "can't configure network" or something, where the IP of the server would normally be shown (on the console). But it was able to just fine once I brought the NAS upstairs and plugged it in via ethernet to the main router.

Also, I did try using a separate router and connecting my PC and server into it, but when the NAS booted, it told me something along the lines of "can't configure network" or something, where the IP of the server would normally be shown (on the console). But it was able to just fine once I brought the NAS upstairs and plugged it in via ethernet to the main router.
Well, that would happen if the FreeNAS server cannot get in touch with your DHCP server (usually your DSL modem). For that to work, you need to set the second router up as an access point. Anyway, that's a separate issue.

What is the exact error message you get when you try to map the share calebnas? A screenshot is desirable.

Last edited:

Chesse

Explorer
Well, that would happen if the FreeNAS server cannot get in touch with your DHCP server (usually your DSL modem). For that to work, you need to set the second router up as an access point. Anyway, that's a separate issue.

What is the exact error message you get when you try to map the share calebnas?
Yeah, that's how I had the server running before. The other router was connected to the main router and configured to be just an AP, then the server was plugged into that. I had no issues that way.

And it just says "the specified path is invalid" when mapping.

What's the path you're mapping to? Also check SMB services is running on FreeNAS.

path is \\192.168.1.137\shared. Also tried share, root, CalebNAS, calebnas, mint, root\mnt\shared and combinations of those folders.
I think there's some misunderstanding here. Your FreeNAS server is only advertising two SMB shares calebnas and calebnas1. Can you map to either of these shares?

Are SMB services running on your server?

Can you provide a screenshot of your attempt to map to calebnas?

Can you confirm that the IP address of the FreeNAS server is 192.168.1.137? How did you establish it?

Also, I did try using a separate router and connecting my PC and server into it, but when the NAS booted, it told me something along the lines of "can't configure network" or something, where the IP of the server would normally be shown (on the console). But it was able to just fine once I brought the NAS upstairs and plugged it in via ethernet to the main router.

Yeah, that's how I had the server running before. The other router was connected to the main router and configured to be just an AP, then the server was plugged into that. I had no issues that way.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, these points appear to contradict each other.

Last edited:

Chesse

Explorer
I think there's some misunderstanding here. Your FreeNAS server is only advertising two SMB shares calebnas and calebnas1. Can you map to either of these shares?

Can you confirm that the IP address of the FreeNAS server is 192.168.1.137? How did you establish it?

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, these points appear to contradict each other.

How do they contradict? Before I moved things around, I had the second router connected via ethernet to the main router upstairs (the one currently connected to the main PC, which is the PC that I CAN grab the files off the server from). I had the second router which was downstairs at the time basically set up as an AP. Then I had him the server plugged into that. The original setup worked that way, I could connect to the main router via my own PC wirelessly, and connect to the server that way.

To answer your questions:

- Nope, neither of those shares work.

- What do you mean by that exactly?

- I already shared a picture of that, on the first page. That's the error I get when attempting any share, even the ones I know are actual shares.

- I can confirm. On the console of the server it shows that's the IP. It set it up by itself when first installing the FREENAS software. It's the same IP as before I reset configs so I am guessing when it set it up again it just used the same IP as before, if you get what I mean? Also, it was the same IP I used when I mapped the share previously about a month ago when I first set everything up (back when it worked before I moved everything.)

Chesse

Explorer
Image.

Attachments

• 20190401_161301.jpg
    20190401_161301.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 462

Chesse

Explorer

I've seemed to figure it out. I guess I didn't try all combinations. I don't know why this one was the path that worked, but the path \\(IP address)\calebnas1\shared worked. Before, even though the share was the same as it is now, I only had to do \\(IP address)\shared and I didn't have to worry about adding in the "calebnas1" in the middle. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember doing it like that before. But hey, it's working now. :)

I do have one more question though. If I brought the server down to my room where my PC is, plugged it into a router, and then connected my PC to the router, could I do that? Or should I just buy a switch and use a switch to save myself the hassle? I want to keep the server as close to my PC as possible, hopefully in the same room. I'd of course just have to run cable for it, I plan on running Cat6 throughout the house. (I do know my fair share of networking and cabling, I work a cabling job. Just not familiar with NAS yet, still learning). I wasn't sure if FreeNAS would be compatible that way or if it had to be directly connected to the main router. (Either way I might just buy a switch.)

Apollo

Wizard
Are you on Freenas 11.1 or something?
I have noticed your screenshot show bridges of Ethernet ports. I think those are iocage jails address you assigned, such as OpenVPN and the like.
I suspect one of your jail IP was made the default IP to Freenas causing issues with you Share.

Chesse

Explorer
Are you on Freenas 11.1 or something?
I have noticed your screenshot show bridges of Ethernet ports. I think those are iocage jails address you assigned, such as OpenVPN and the like.
I suspect one of your jail IP was made the default IP to Freenas causing issues with you Share.
Well it's working now, but yes I am on 11.2. Also, I didn't make any jails or OpenVPN, so... I wouldn't know. But it's working now.