Samba checksum difference over wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDrifter363

Dabbler
Hey guys,

So I'm running a FreeNAS 11.0 U4 server, and I noticed something weird recently. I made an iso image of a blu ray anime I had on my main Windows computer and I wanted to transfer it to my server so I could free some space on my main machine. I had my computer connected to the server via wifi as I didn't want to run a 50 to 100 ft ethernet cable downstairs. So, this is something I don't do often, but I decided to run a checksum, after I copied the iso to the server, and the checksum differed between files. Now I've transferred large files between my computer and my server before. Though this was all when everything was connected via ethernet. I never had a checksum issue before. But over wifi, specifically wireless ac, I was now getting checksum differences? I created the checksum file on windows using hash shell extension, and I computed the checksum on the server via freenas's builtin shasum and/or md5. So I was pretty sure it wasn't my server any of its hardware or wires, so I decided to plug an ethernet cable from my main computer to the access point/switch downstairs. The switch connects the main computer to the server. I then transferred the file again and sure enough no checksum errors, just like before when my computer was connected to the server via ethernet. So something with my wifi in my gaming computer is causing a checksum error to happen when I transfer files between my computer and my server.

Note, I transferred a 500 MB file and I didn't notice a checksum error. It was only when transferring a large file like 5 GB or 50 GB. I don't know if it has to do with wifi's built in latency, dropping packets, connection not being stable, duration of the transfer, etc. Let me know if anyone else has had issues like this and if they were able to resolve it. I had wifi mainly for convenience, and I would hate to have to drop it, but I will if it will mean no more checksum errors.

D

dlavigne

You're better off using Ethernet for large transfers as wifi will be slower and less reliable.

rungekutta

Contributor
@dlavigne I think that's besides the point though. Speed and stability of wireless connections aside, such issues should not be able to lead to corrupt files. Then something else is very wrong. @TheDrifter363 could you check with another (wireless) client to see if you can replicate the same issue? If not then maybe it's something dodgy going on with the Windows client you were using (hardware or software wise).

TheDrifter363

Dabbler
Thanks guys for responding! Really appreciate it.

There's a Mac Mini in the house. Guess I could use that. I'll try that out and let you know if the same corruption happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.