Device does not seem to be functioning...?

Chesse

Explorer
Background: Hi, so I've had my NAS up and running for a while now. No issues. However, I just recently moved it, and connected it to a new router. When I booted into the system, it told me it couldn't configure the network, or something (can't remember the exact wording it used). Figured it was because I was using a new router, so I reset the configuration and it worked, and I got my IP that I can use to connect to the server. Now on to the issue.

So now, even though my server had already been ran, I would obviously have to reimport my volume since I reset it, which I did. Of course all the data is on there still. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly... but IDK. Anyway, I set up my share again because it also got rid of that. Worked fine. However, when trying to connect to the server now in Windows, it gave me an error saying it couldn't connect. So, I deleted the network location, and then set it back up. \\(ip)\shared didn't work (it was what I used to set up the network location before...), so I tried \\(ip)\root instead. This worked, but now when I try to connect to it (I need to pull files off there so I can make a backup because I am due for one) it tells me "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I have no idea what's wrong. My drives are brand new, they were working an hour before, they still show up in my "Storage" page as healthy and mounted, I can still view the folders on the legacy and modern web interface... what would be the issue??

UPDATE: I've gotten a bit further with more information to possibly fix this issue. Alright, so I live with someone else, and my computer is not the main computer of the household. Mine's downstairs in the basement connected via wifi. Anyway, the main computer is right next to the router, connected with ethernet instead of wifi. The server is connected directly to the router also via ethernet. On the main computer, under "Networks", I can access all of my files and whatnot, off the server, and I can even connect to the server by mapping it as a network location. However, on my computer, the server does not show up under Networks (it never did before anyway but mapping network location worked fine before), and mapping network location doesn't work either. Anyway, just some more info

Last edited:
Let's take a step back. Start by detailing your FreeNAS hardware and software configuration as per Forum Guidelines. It would be a good idea to include this information in your signature block.

Chesse

Explorer
Let's take a step back. Start by detailing your FreeNAS hardware and software configuration as per Forum Guidelines. It would be a good idea to include this information in your signature block.
  • It's an ASUS motherboard, I don't remember the model number but it's out of an old gaming PC. It's an AM3+ socket.
  • AMD FX-4300
  • 1 x 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • Booting off a flash drive, I've got a 3TB Western Digital Caviar Blue and a Kingston A400 120GB SSD.
  • No IDE controllers, just using the motherboard SATA ports.
  • Soon upgrading to a 1 Gb NIC but currently just the motherboard.
I haven't had it long, and was just about to do my first backup when I had this issue. I guess I should have backed up the data sooner, eh? Eh, at least it's still there. It's just that pulling it off would be inconvenient because I currently have almost 70GB stored on it and speeds are slow without a correct NIC, etc. and plus the main computer which CAN connect to the share is slow and to move the data on there and then from there onto a backup drive would be extremely inconvenient, especially when the other people in the house need that PC to use and it would be near nonfunctional while transferring that data because it would be so slow.

Can you provide screenshots of the Network Connection properties on both the main computer and your computer?

Attachments

• screenshot.36.jpg
    screenshot.36.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:

Chesse

Explorer
Can you provide screenshots of the Network Connection properties on both the main computer and your computer? eg.
View attachment 29740
I can't provide one of the main computer just yet (I can in maybe 45 mins?) but on my personal PC I can. Here ya go. (Would it be maybe because I have DHCP enabled? Possibly? I didn't think of that before.)

Attachments

• asfsdg.PNG
    asfsdg.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 1,013
That looks okay. You're saying you can't access the server from this PC, your personal PC. I assume you're currently on your home network?

What about a screenshot of you FreeNAS network configuration as well (Network > Global Configuration)?

Chesse

Explorer
That looks okay. You're saying you can't access the server from this PC, your personal PC. I assume you're currently on your home network?

What about a screenshot of you FreeNAS network configuration as well (Network > Global Configuration)?
Yessir. Home network on this PC. The furthest I can get is getting it to MAP the network location, but when trying to access it it gives me an error.

From the GUI I am guessing, for the screenshot? If so, there is no data there... which is confusing to me, as if that's the issue, I never had to enter anything in there before for it to work...

Ouch! You do need to configure the server network properties. Let's start with a screenshot of the network Interface details.

Attachments

• net if.jpg
    net if.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,429
Last edited:
While that's okay atm, it's preferable to fix the IP address for the server. If the IP address keeps changing, as it will with DHCP enabled, it will make life difficult for you when mapping by IP address. We'll get to this later.

Next a printout of Network > Global Configuration.

Attachments

• net global.jpg
    net global.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,171
Last edited:

Chesse

Explorer
While that's okay atm, it's preferable to fix the IP address for the server. If the IP address keeps changing, as it will with DHCP enabled, it will make life difficult for you when mapping by IP address. We'll get to this later.

Next a printout of Network > Global Configuration eg.

View attachment 29744
There's nothing in global configuration, nothing is set. What should I set that to?

At the very least, is a hostname defined? Anyway, set the IPv4 Default Gateway and Nameserver 1 to the LAN address of your router, which I believe, from an earlier screenshot, is 192.168.1.1.

Last edited:

Chesse

Explorer
At the very least, is a hostname defined? Anyway, set the IPv4 Default Gateway and Nameserver 1 to the LAN address of your router, which I believe, from an earlier screenshot, is 192.168.1.1.
Yeah it's got a hostname but all the IPs and stuff aren't set, until now of course. I've done that now

From your PC, can you now ping the server? I'm assuming you know the IP address of the server.

Can you try mapping to a share?

Chesse

Explorer
Can you try mapping to a share?
That's the issue. I have the share set up, however, the only thing that Windows will accept is \\(IP address)\root , and it will let me map that, but as soon as I try to access the folder, it gives me an error telling me a device attached to the system is not functioning, or something along those lines.

Attachments

• sdfdfgdg.PNG
    sdfdfgdg.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 914
Is root a share? Can you please provide a screenshot of Sharing > Windows (SMB) shares under FreeNAS?

Chesse

Explorer
Is root a share? Can you please provide a screenshot of Sharing > Windows (SMB) shares under FreeNAS?
I don't think so. Here's the screenshot (I tried multiple when troubleshooting)

Attachments

• shares.PNG
    shares.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 886