Ubuntu share setup HELP!!!! I spent 3 days on it without results...

JWAutomation

Cadet
Hello guys,
I'm very new to FreeNAS, but anyway build my NAS I created my ZFS Pool I've only 1 Vdev created with 3 4TB spinning drives. I created a dataset SMB for windows and then in the sharing SMB section I added the users to it and then connected the 2 windows computer to it through a network switch.
All perfectly working! (I just followed tutorials so I don't actually know what the single steps actually means, I just did it)
Then my one of my friends with an Ubuntu computer wants to connect through the network switch to the FreeNAS and its 3 days that I search in the web for tutorials on how to connect a Ubuntu computer to the same FreeNAS that my two windows computer are on and I'm going insane, can somebody help me to figure it out?
what's the procedure? I can edit the Ethernet connection in Ubuntu and set the right IP address and I can ping the IP of the NAS so the computer and the NAS are on the same network and see each other but I don't know how to set up the sharing, help pls!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You should ask in an appropriate Ubuntu community how to connect to an SMB share.

JWAutomation

Cadet
I wasn't expecting this answer, but even if I just get a little help to understand what option I should enable in the FreeNAS GUI will be helpful, I'm sure you need to create an appropriate Dataset and maybe a Unix share type before you move on the Ubuntu terminal and start typing codes to mount it, right?
I'm sincerely asking for some directions on this because I'm being wandering in the interface without progress for 3 days.

So even if I get some info about the FreeNAS set up part I will appreciate it.

thank in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
what option I should enable in the FreeNAS GUI will be helpful,
You shouldn't need to enable anything new in the FreeNAS GUI--Ubuntu is perfectly capable of connecting to SMB shares. If you want a dedicated share for that machine, of course you'd need to create it, but you didn't say anything about that in your OP.
I'm sure you need to create an appropriate Dataset and maybe a Unix share type before you move on the Ubuntu terminal and start typing codes to mount it, right?
Probably not. You shouldn't need to do anything at the Ubuntu terminal to mount a SMB share (your mention of "terminal" indicates to me that there's a GUI on the Ubuntu machine, and if that's the case, it's nearly certain you can mount the share through the GUI), and you only need to create a new share if you want a different share. There's literally nothing different to do on the FreeNAS box than you already did for your Windows client machines.

JWAutomation

Cadet
You shouldn't need to enable anything new in the FreeNAS GUI--Ubuntu is perfectly capable of connecting to SMB shares. If you want a dedicated share for that machine, of course you'd need to create it, but you didn't say anything about that in your OP.

Probably not. You shouldn't need to do anything at the Ubuntu terminal to mount a SMB share (your mention of "terminal" indicates to me that there's a GUI on the Ubuntu machine, and if that's the case, it's nearly certain you can mount the share through the GUI), and you only need to create a new share if you want a different share. There's literally nothing different to do on the FreeNAS box than you already did for your Windows client machines.
Nice that's good news, takes a good chunk of confusion out of the equation, so now I need to figure out how to connect this ubuntu computer to the NAS, thanks for your answer! really appreciated.