Decryption Failed

yottabit

Contributor
Well, I tested encryption and it seemed to go well until the final test where I lock, and then immediately attempt to unlock.

I am 100% sure I know the password and entered it correctly, but the UI and shell both state that the incorrect key is provided and do not unlock the dataset.

I'm going to destroy the dataset and try all over again tomorrow, but ... let's say confidence in ZFS encryption is low at this point.

Update: today I destroyed the encrypted dataset, created a new one with the same password, added a test file, locked it, unlocked it, then copied all the data back to it. After verifying checksums, I locked it, and successfully unlocked it. So, I guess it's good now. It is possible I mistyped the password twice, both in the password field and the confirm password field, but ... be cautious.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What special characters did you include? Remember, this is Unix syntax, and some characters are reserved. ZFS encryption works reliably for me, but I only use alphanumeric characters for any dataset passcodes.

yottabit

Contributor
What special characters did you include? Remember, this is Unix syntax, and some characters are reserved. ZFS encryption works reliably for me, but I only use alphanumeric characters for any dataset passcodes.
I was simply using only integers.