How to lock datasets after unlocking and locking advantage

flmmartins

Dabbler
Hello all,

Thanks for reading this! I have 2 questions:

1. I have 2 machines. Each has it's own pool: on source it is called default and on destionation the pool is called backuphd.

I replicated my default pool to backuphd/default_replication. On the backuphd/default_replication I pressed Unlock cause I wanted to see if replication actually worked but now my dataset appears unlocked. How can I lock it again with the source encryption key?

I have already entered the encryption menu and tried to encrypt again with the same key doing like the below (omitted the key ofc):

1699113221259.png

2. I was just wondering.... What's the benefit of encrypting a pool if, in order to share it on the network they need to be unlocked?

Tks!

Last edited:

chuck32

Guru
I'm not sure I follow, but unlocking does not decrypt the dataset permanently.

Go to Datasets and click on the dataset you want to lock. In the next menu, under ZFS encryption you find the button "Lock" -> it will lock the dataset again using the original encryption method.

2. I was just wondering.... What's the benefit of encrypting a pool if, in order to share it on the network they need to be unlocked?
How would you access an encrypted dataset then?

Personally for me, I use passphrase encryption to be protected in case of physical theft of the machine.

Last edited:

flmmartins

Dabbler
Ah so unlocking doesn't mean it's decrypted. I thought from the moment you clicked unlock was decrypted. Okey so that's good!

I tried to find this option you mentioned but I couldn't find it. If I click on ZFS encryption it shows the image I pasted it. There's not a LOCK button

Tks for answering!

With ZFS, you use the umount/unload-key commands to lock the dataset. (It doesn't matter if it's a keystring or passphrase).

With TrueNAS, for some reason they removed the ability (from the GUI) to lock an encrypted dataset that uses a keystring.

It may be due to legacy reasons, or because they don't want you to accidentally lock the hidden ".system" dataset.

Ah so unlocking doesn't mean it's decrypted.
When a dataset is "unlocked", it means that the Master Key is loaded in RAM, and hence you can decrypt the data.

But no matter what, once the system powers off or the drive(s) are removed, the Master Key is gone. (No longer in RAM. Data remains encrypted at rest.)

flmmartins

Dabbler
Thanks I can see this behaviour now that I did a detach and import pool ^^