Data share path already exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsinwv

Cadet
I previously added this to an existing post, but KDragon75 requested a new thread and to list my SMB configuration. I do not know how to do that.

My FreeNAS 9.3 server ceased to work after a power outage. A brief search suggested that a defective flash drive might cause the problem, so I decided to use a different flash drive and install the latest version of FreeNAS (11.1) on it. I finally found the cause for an unable to locate drive as a signal cable that had come loose. After finally getting the FreeNAS server visible in Windows 10 File Explorer, I can only see limited folders and files (all under the Movies folder).

I only have one SMB share at this point for the root of the ZFS volume (i.e., /mnt/Shared_Storage). Perhaps I need more. When I try to add a datashare for "Movies" to the Media datashare, I get the message "The path /mnt/Shared_Storage/Media/Movies already exists." Likewise when I try to add "TV Shows".

What do I need to do to get things working again? I have attached a file with shell output showing what the system looks like.

Attachments

• Shell Output.txt
    14.8 KB · Views: 332

m0nkey_

MVP
You're trying to create a share under a path that's already shared. FreeNAS will not allow this. If you share /mnt/Shared_Storage and /mnt/Shared_Storage/Media is will prevent this.

It's bad practice to share out the root of the pool.

dsinwv

Cadet
I'm having trouble understanding your post. You say that I should not "create a share under a path that's already shared" and yet your example then shows that defining a share under a share will fix the problem.

A bullet in your response says that I should read the documentation. Following the link, I end up at https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/smb-tips-and-tricks.15/. When I try to access my FreeNAS server following this documentation, it says that it cannot access it. After the new FreeNAS install, I tried to map the drive using the IP address, but it could not find it. I then used the name "freenas" and it found some of the data. When I tried to use both conventions with the Computer Management program, it failed to find the server. Why is Windows having trouble locating the FreeNAS server?

I did figure out how to list the /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf file, if that would be of any use to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.