One folder two shares - A share with this path already exists.

Wilk89

Cadet
Hi,

I have problem with share one folder with two different name. One for guest to read and second for guest to edit. On FreeNAS 9.10.1-u4 work fine but in FreeNAS 11.2 i have error "A share with this path already exists". Screens in attached.

Attachments

• FreeNAS9101.PNG
    FreeNAS9101.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 564
  • FreeNAS112.PNG
    FreeNAS112.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 631

kdragon75

Wizard
So you have a folder that you want to share once as read only and again as read/write all as the same user? That makes no sense. Please explain the use case.

Wilk89

Cadet
I have two groups of people using share folder as "guest(nobody)" without any login credentials. One of the groups create and edit files the second group only read this files.

kdragon75

Wizard
I have two groups of people using share folder as "guest(nobody)" without any login credentials.
How do you know who is trying to access the data then? You need to use accounts. Having two sares of the same folder is not supported for a number of reasons.

Wilk89

Cadet
I map drives to users. One group "produkcja" (for read) and the second group "produkcja_mod" (for edit). I do not want to create and use accounts, in the old version it worked good. I have it mapped to many computers.I know it is risky, because someone knows the path, can map drives from 2 shares.

Trahloc

Cadet
Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but it's the only one with "A share with this path already exists" and it's the top link on google so for the next person I thought it would be useful.

I have a directory on my server /mnt/ztank/asdf. Previously I had a share to that for user/group asdfro called ASDF-RO and another for user/group asdfrw called ASDF-RW. With the update to 11.2 these shares no longer work as "A share with this path already exists".

My temporary solution until a proper solution is found is loading the shell and typing this:

mkdir /mnt/ztank/asdf-ro; \
mount -t nullfs -o ro /mnt/ztank/asdf /mnt/ztank/asdf-ro; \
mkdir /mnt/ztank/asdf-rw; \
mount -t nullfs /mnt/ztank/asdf /mnt/ztank/asdf-rw

Then you can then point "ASDF-RO" to /mnt/ztank/asdf-ro and "ASDF-RW" to /mnt/ztank/asdf-rw. I already had "asdf" shared as something else for my personal use, these are ip restricted / user restricted shares which is why it seems redundant.

Don't forget to add those commands to Tasks / Init/Shutdown Scripts:

Type: Command
Command: (paste shell command text from above)
When: Pre Init
Check Enabled
Click Save

This is a bizarre way of setting up up permissions. I suggest you review this section of the FreeNAS user guide https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/sharing.html#windows-smb-shares, in particular, the paragraph on Tips, tricks and helpful videos reproduced below.

SMB Tips and Tricks shows helpful hints for configuring and managing SMB networking. The FreeNAS and Samba (CIFS) permissions and Advanced Samba (CIFS) permissions on FreeNAS videos clarify setting up permissions on SMB shares. Another helpful reference is Methods For Fine-Tuning Samba Permissions.

Last edited: