How do I know a folder is created in the correct dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
I have created a dataset and several sub-datasets within a the Volumes feature in Freenas 8 as follows:

/mnt/movies
/mnt/movies/movies (i know terrible naming)
/mnt/movies/Pictures

I have created several folders using SMB to house my movies. When I using file explorer to navigate to the CIFS share the file path look like this

//freenas/Movies

if I create a folder in //freenas/movies named "Pictures" will it be stored in my dataset /mnt/movies/pictures?

Sorry Im not really understanding dataset/volumes/file directories well.

- - - Updated - - -

Also do I even need a new dataset just for my pictures? Is there a benefit?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You know a folder is created in the correct dataset if you create it in the correct dataset. It's important to recognize the location of the network share on the FreeNAS server and make the connection between the network share and the physical location on your server.

JaimieV

Guru
You don't actually need to use datasets at all. The benefits for a home user are pretty minimal, being able to set a quota (a max size) on one is probably the main item. For a setup like yours, there's probably no need. Just create the folders, then share /mnt/movies and use the whole device as one lump.

I do use two datasets - one for my automatic workstation backups (with a max size) and one for everything else. I didn't really need to make the second one - you don't need a folder to be dataset in order to share it. Next time I do a rebuild I'll probably end up with just one.

ProtoSD

MVP
Actually I find datasets quite useful for more than just quotas. They allow separate snapshots with different parameters, and they're nice for grouping your data into common files and make it easier to back stuff up.

A dataset appears just like a regular subdirectory, so just copy your files to that directory and they become part of that dataset.

JaimieV

Guru
Aha! Yes, thanks for the reminder - I do actually use different snapshot settings on my Backup and Stuff datasets. So I will keep them if I ever rebuild.

I really should write this down in my config notes... :o

Status
Not open for further replies.