Hidden dataset - Can't delete. Can't see where data is goingn

Freenas 11.3 U2.1

I needed to make an SMB share for some a new dataset I had in mind. So I made one. Problem is I got ahead of myself and the dataset didn't exist yet. But, the SMB share was successfully created and ran me through setting up ACL....Then I realized i forgot to create the dataset. So I assumed the share wouldn't work until I did..

So I go to create the dataset I had declared when creating the share. Freenas (GUI) says the dataset of that name ("Movies") already exists. I refresh the page to see if the dataset is there. The dataset is not there.

When I do "zfs list" from console, all my datasets are listed except for "Movies" one that Freenas is saying already exists. Odd. If it's there, why can't i see it?

I check the SMB share from a windows box. I'm able to navigate and start dropping files there. I check my storage to see if any values are rising to indicate where the data is located. Storage values are remaining static.

Feeling bewildered, I create a new dataset of a different name "Vids". It shows up both in GUI and console as expected.

From the console, I do "zfs create Movies" -- Succesful. Odd, I thought the dataset already existed according to the GUI.

I check the SMB share from a winodws box...All the files I dropped are gone....Ok, I thought. It re-created the dataset and wiped all the data. But I thought I better double check.

So I "zfs destroy" both "Movies" and "Vids" succesfully. I go back and check the share from the windows box and the old files I dropped on the "hidden" dataset are right back.

This is probably the most WTF thing I've ever had happen with Freenas. Looking for someone who knows what is going on and how I fix it.

Thank you!

Do a find / -name Movies. See where it is.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You'll have to delete the SMB share. FreeNAS is saying the folder is there because it's define in the FreeNAS database as the dataset for the share. The GUI only references the database.

Once the share definition is gone, the database references will be too, and you'll be able to properly create the dataset.

John, It was found exactly where declared when I made the share...which is the same name and location as what I used when doing "zfs create Movies"

Samuel, the share is deleted. I have stopped the SMB service as well after deletion. The "hidden" dataset still appears when doing "find" as John istructed. When I try to destroy the dataset console says it does not exist.....But I can create then destroy over and over again...Even overlapping this dataset.

I went ahead and rebooted the entire server and the "hidden"

To clarify, when I say "Movies" i mean "Pool/Movies" and the full path is /mnt/Pool/Movies.

Thanks!

K, I'm a dumbass. I got it. I navigated by console and did rmdir on the "hidden" dataset and all was fixed.

Thanks guys for your help. It got me moving the right direction.

Which was exactly what I was going to say. Its a regular directory residing in the datasets way. Just rm it.