Replicated Data Invisible for One Dataset

dmmincrjr

Cadet
I'm replicating data using replication tasks and trying to figure out why data in one dataset is invisible. I'm only having an issue with one dataset and all other datasets I replicate I can view through a windows share in WIndows Explorer or in WinSCP.

The dataset I'm having a problem with is a backup of a Windows 2012R2 server virtual machine that is hosted on a Windows 2016 Server. The backup is created from the Windows 2016 server using Windows Server Backup and is being saved to a windows share on the Freenas Server. I created a dataset on the Freenas Server for the backup file. I can view the backup files in Windows Explorer on the Freenas Server so that is working as expected.

When I perform the replication task to move the dataset to an offsite Freenas Server I cannot view the backup file in either Windows Explorer when I create an SMB share or WinSCP. If I use the shell function on the Freenas Server and through the command line I can find the file under the dataset /mnt/backpool01.

I have also created a clone of the dataset and it also is not visible via an SMB share or in WinSCP. The total dataset is about 176GB. The snapshots are showing up on the remote Freenas Server so the data is there just cannot figure out why I cannot view using Windows Explorer or WinSCP as I can view other replicated data from the same machine on the remote machine without issue.

Any suggestions or answers as to why this is occurring would be appreciated as am concerned might not be able to recover the file properly if I need to use the backup.

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
WTB some whitespace....

artlessknave

Wizard
ok after sacrificing my eyes to read that....i dunno :/
first guess is that the replication isnt mounted, but you say you can ls them.
2nd guess is permissions.
and Wall of text wins the fight.

dmmincrjr

Cadet
Thanks for your reply but not sure what you mean about whitespace or sacrificing your eyes to read as it looks like a normal post on my computer. The replication and clone are mounted as I can ls them in shell. It did turn out to be a permission issue. On the clone I was adding myself as a user to the ACL but not doing it recursively. Once I checked that box to apply recursively was able to see the share. Thanks for the help and sorry for the whitespace but don't know why that occurred.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Thanks for your reply but not sure what you mean about whitespace or sacrificing your eyes to read as it looks like a normal post on my computer. The replication and clone are mounted as I can ls them in shell. It did turn out to be a permission issue. On the clone I was adding myself as a user to the ACL but not doing it recursively. Once I checked that box to apply recursively was able to see the share. Thanks for the help and sorry for the whitespace but don't know why that occurred.

I believe the meaning is that you have created one large paragraph. You could go back to edit it, to add a few carriage returns at logical breakpoints, such as where you start with a new idea or new step, or similar. One large paragraph, even on a wide screen (and using Ganz großes Kino -dark theme) which to me as 7 whole lines and a partial, can be somewhat challenging to wade through, but it would be much worse for a more narrow viewport such as a tablet or smartphone.
The forums also do not adjust for line spacing, there is no setting to change it, so if your rendered page is different than the forum default, such as if your CSS had 'line-height 3' in some way, this makes a difference with readability as well.

I do wish you success for getting your issue solved.

dmmincrjr

Cadet
I edited the first post to add some carriage returns so hopefully it is easier for people to view. Thanks for the suggestions.

artlessknave

Wizard
much appreciated, that is a ton better. good you got it sorted out.

Apollo

Wizard
I'm replicating data using replication tasks and trying to figure out why data in one dataset is invisible. I'm only having an issue with one dataset and all other datasets I replicate I can view through a windows share in WIndows Explorer or in WinSCP.

The dataset I'm having a problem with is a backup of a Windows 2012R2 server virtual machine that is hosted on a Windows 2016 Server. The backup is created from the Windows 2016 server using Windows Server Backup and is being saved to a windows share on the Freenas Server. I created a dataset on the Freenas Server for the backup file. I can view the backup files in Windows Explorer on the Freenas Server so that is working as expected.

When I perform the replication task to move the dataset to an offsite Freenas Server I cannot view the backup file in either Windows Explorer when I create an SMB share or WinSCP. If I use the shell function on the Freenas Server and through the command line I can find the file under the dataset /mnt/backpool01.

I have also created a clone of the dataset and it also is not visible via an SMB share or in WinSCP. The total dataset is about 176GB. The snapshots are showing up on the remote Freenas Server so the data is there just cannot figure out why I cannot view using Windows Explorer or WinSCP as I can view other replicated data from the same machine on the remote machine without issue.

Any suggestions or answers as to why this is occurring would be appreciated as am concerned might not be able to recover the file properly if I need to use the backup.
Replication cause the remote server to set the pool or dataset as read only.
When Freenas tries to mount the pool on the remote side, it cannot integraste the dataset as it is read only and therefore cannot install the mount point to the new dataset. As a result, files withing the non-mountable dataset cannot be listed.
You can set the remote pool to be "readonly=off" and reboot your remote system. Only then should your data be available. You may want to set your pool to "readonly=on" after that.