Replicated datasets have invisible directories

eexodus

Dabbler
I have a master FreeNAS system backing up to two systems via replication: a backup and disaster recovery. On both the backup and DR FreeNAS systems the replicated datasets appear correctly transferred in the web GUI (besides some minor discrepancies I go over here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...t-quotas-and-other-options.71493/#post-495212). Specifically, the replicated datasets are the correct name, size, and compression type in the web UI. However, at the console when you cd and browse through them no files are visible. This seems random too, some datasets have visible files in them while others don't. One workaround to temporarily fix this problem is umounting the pool and reimporting it, but that is obviously not a real solution. Have I come across a bug, or a read-only-like feature? I've attached pictures of a "test2" dataset I created on master that was then replicated to both backup and DR. In the web UI and at the console using zfs list it is the right size 7.5G. When browsing to its directory though no files are there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.04.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.04.06 AM.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 400
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.04.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.04.29 AM.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 400
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.03.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.03.51 AM.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 416

southerner

Dabbler
Check out the Notes in the guide of Freenas.

" The target dataset on the receiving system is automatically created in read-only mode to protect the data. To mount or browse the data on the receiving system, create a clone of the snapshot and use the clone. Clones are created in read/write mode, making it possible to browse or mount them. See Snapshots for more information on creating clones. "

JustinOtherBobo

Dabbler
Check out the Notes in the guide of Freenas.

" The target dataset on the receiving system is automatically created in read-only mode to protect the data. To mount or browse the data on the receiving system, create a clone of the snapshot and use the clone. Clones are created in read/write mode, making it possible to browse or mount them. See Snapshots for more information on creating clones. "

While I accept the above, I've just run into the situation described above where SOME of the datasets in the replication are visible and SOME of the datasets in the replication aren't--which doesn't sound very consistent.

eexodus

Dabbler
Read-only isn't an issue to be because I don't plan on needing write access on my backup and DR FreeNAS servers, but my issue is a little different because files are completely invisible until pools are unmounted and remounted so they aren't even "read".

The use case I think I will run into most often interacting with my backup and DR servers is retrieving files from DR since I have configured that replication to not delete stale snapshots and unfortunately I can't do that right now with the files being invisible.

eexodus

Dabbler
I wanted to update this and say I discovered that the lowest directories in my datasets are "missing" because they get unmounted once replication runs after the initial netcat send recv. You can manually mount the directories if needed for one-off recoveries.

pro lamer

Guru
the lowest directories in my datasets are "missing" because they get unmounted once replication runs after the initial netcat send recv.
Are they located at the target?

What is specific about them that causes amount?

Sent from my phone