Creating one new folder creates four of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

udkm

Cadet
Hi, I just installed FreeNAS and did a brief setup. It's completely new to me so I realize that I could do a mistake.. But anyway, here comes my problem:
I created one CIFS share with guest account, no password. When I try to create a new folder from my Windows 10 machine, it eventually creates 4 new folders (New Folder, New Folder (1), etc.).
Everything else seems to work flawlessly, so basically I'm happy with this beautiful software :).
Thx for help.

m0nkey_

MVP
That sounds more like an issue with your Windows computer. Are you running any anti-virus software?

udkm

Cadet
Just the Windows Defender. But you bring me to idea to try it on another computer (yes, kinda late :)) and it works fine there. So I'm going to investigate on that affected computer... Will let know the result.

udkm

Cadet
I'm afraid I did not :(. I tried to stop some running software that I have, but it didn't help, so it must be deeper in the system (driver, service..?). But when I create a folder via Total Commander, it is OK. Maybe we could compare our hardware in order to find the driver or software that could do it. So my config is:
GIGABYTE Z77-D3H, NVIDIA GTX 1080, Asus Xonar STX, Logitech Performance MX, Rapoo keyboard, Samsung M2070W printer, HTC Vive... not sure what else could cause trouble

udkm

Cadet
Still nothing (I am using Total Commander to avoid it). But if you will recognize any hardware that we have in common (see the list above), let me know.

KawaDuce

Cadet
Bumping...! Same issue for me, win 10 client, FreeNAS 9.10.2 on Hp microserver gen8. When I create ONE folder, I get four... And, for me as well, it works as it should if I use Total Commander... Clues, anybody?? Extremely annoying...

Last edited by a moderator:

udkm

Cadet
Hey, because you just remind me the issue, I gave it a shot and tried if it still persists and guess what... it does not! The sad part is that I am not sure when it did disappear. But I think it could be the new driver for the Realtek 8111F (LAN chip) that I applied in order to get rid of this issue: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/1850. I used the solution described in comment #21.
So if you have the Realtek 8111F (or maybe a similar one) you can give it a try.
Hope it will help

KawaDuce

Cadet
OK, thanks for hearing me..!! Will start debugging. However, regarding the realtek issue - do you mean that if the FreeNAS server nic is above mentioned realtek, I should try some compiling? That will be a steep hill to climb for me, never done any compiling. Though I think the HP microserver has Broadcom nics. Why does it work with PowerCommander?
Cross my fingers for a solution...

Last edited by a moderator:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OK, thanks for hearing me..!! Will start debugging. However, regarding the realtek issue - do you mean that if the freenas server nic is above mentioned realtek, I should try some compiling? That will be a steep hill to climb for me, never done any compiling. Though I think the HP microserver has Broadcom nics. Why does it work with PowerCommander?
Cross my fingers for a solution...
Don't compile anything.

BJJ4Life

Cadet
Hello-

I've had this issue for about the last few months, finally wanted to start looking at this issue. Been running FreeNAS for 4 or 5 years - FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13)

No issues with creating, deleting files and folders the entire time from any machine (mostly win7) Some Windows 10. However, this past christmas i built a new workstation win 10x64 home and started noticing this issue. I've only got one cifs share on my free nas server and i believe i have it set for guest access. When i set this up years ago. I didn't do too much as it's for home media/shares/ backups

I dont see the advanced under system to show a debug. Is my version too old, is it somewhere else?

Thanks

BJJ4Life

Cadet
anyone? Bump? I've asked around on reddit and they are telling me to update my free nas to 9.10, etc. Anything else besides that? I dont want to risk data loss, and i have no where to temporarily hold 6 tbs..

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
anyone? Bump? I've asked around on reddit and they are telling me to update my free nas to 9.10, etc. Anything else besides that? I dont want to risk data loss, and i have no where to temporarily hold 6 tbs..

If your pool isn't encrypted and you have good redundancy you're not really risking your data any more than usual (Unless you install to a data drive). If it doesn't work, go back to the version that worked with the config that worked.

gpsguy

As you said, 9.1.0 is several years old.

You have two options for the upgrade to 9.10.x. In both cases, your data should be safe. Since RAID isn't a backup, you should already have backups on any critical files.

One, slowly update from 9.1.0 -> 9.2.0 -> 9.2.1 -> 9.2.1.5 -> 9.2.1.9 -> 9.3 -> 9.3.1 -> 9.10 -> 9.10.2-U3

Doing so is slow, but should allow you to update and maintain your current settings. If you go this route, backup your new configuration files as you go along, so you can fall back to something that used to work.

The quicker way, would be to install 9.10.2-U3 on a new boot device and use the import volume feature to import your existing pool. While your data should be intact, you'll need to reconfigure your shares, features, ie. all the stuff you did when you originally configured your server.

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
When I test new versions, especially if they're nightlies, I simply install to a blank USB to test and leave my boot SSD's intact, so if it doesn't work I pull out the USB drive and just reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.