Windows CIFS: Anonymous and parallel user based sharing not possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mareus

Cadet
Hello,

I am encountering the following problem:

I have build a new FreeNAS Server from scratch. By following the steps mentioned in the documentary I was able to set-up a folder with guest access (using the pre-installed user “nobody”). The Freenas Server is browseable over a Windows 7 machine and I can access the guest folder without entering an user name and/or password.

So far so good. However when I am creating a new user (for example “user1”) in order to create shares which are only accessable by a certain user, I no longer can connect to my FreeNas-Server over the Windows Network Browser. Everytime I click on the Freenas-Server my server asks me to enter a user name and a password. In other words: Guest users can no longer access my Freenas shares without having an own account.

I already read the following thread covering (possibly) the same problem:

https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/4286

However, I do not understand how to fix this.

Therefore could you advise me how to set up the following access pattern for windows shares:

1.“Opening/Accessing” my FreeNas server over the Windows Network browser should be possible for everyone without asking for a username and password. When clicking on my FreeNas server all folders/shares should show up.

2. From the folders showing up only certain folders should be guest folders requiring no authentication whereas browsing / reading and writing in certain other folders should require to enter a username and password, once someone clicks on the folder and tries to access it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards

Mareus

Status
Not open for further replies.