CIFS Sharing with User Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sty

Dabbler
Hello, I am trying rather unsuccessfully to get some shares working. If I run all permissions and guest access everything works fine but when I try to granulate the permissions it doesn't work.

I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355.

My goal is for anyone in the media group to be able to have full access to the folders but other users, including guests, may only read or execute. I have a user setup in the media group with the permissions set to allow that user ownership, the group media. The permissions are 755 for the zfs dataset. Checking through terminal everything appears to work. However, when I try to access the share from Windows I am unable to authenticate with the user. If I allow it to connect with a guest the permissions are accurate, no write access, full read and execute.

I'm assuming there is something very simple I am not doing to tie it all together and would love this last step. Thank you for your time!

Sty

Dabbler
I think I solved it. Apparently running "smbpasswd -a user_name" and giving it the same password did the trick.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think I solved it. Apparently running "smbpasswd -a user_name" and giving it the same password did the trick.
Hmmmm this is a bug. I wonder how you got into this state?

Kosh

Cadet
Not certain, but I was able to fix my issue the same way. I think it may have to do with creating a user account without "Microsoft Account" selected on creation and subsequently checking the box.

I was initially using NFS shares exclusively then decided to add a Windows share. I'm pretty sure I didn't have Microsoft Account checked when I created the user and I'm guessing behind the scenes there's a call to smbpasswd made if that's set?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
smbpasswd is deprecated. pdbedit should be used to modify samba passwords. That being said, you shouldn't have to do command line kung-fu to do this. If you can reproduce the problem, then please file a bug report.

Status
Not open for further replies.