CrashPlan Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaknell1011

Dabbler
I have not seen that error, but there have been a few things I seem to forget during the 10+ times I have reinstalled Crashplan so far. Check the following:

1. Did you accept the agreement terms for the plugin?
2. Do you have NAT, Vimage, and Autostart properly configured for the jail?
3. Can you verify Java and crashplan have started? Try "sockstat -4", and "netstat -na | grep LISTEN | grep 42"
4. Can you ping the jail IP? Can you SSH into the jail?

Jaknell1011

Dabbler
Just out of curiosity, how many people have this Crashplan plugin working properly? I feel like the ratio of problems to success stories falls in the direction of the former. (Perhaps I won't get a very good answer considering this IS the "problem" thread.)

Also Sully, in the very helpful post you have above, could you mention that the "0" following cpuset -l .... is in fact a zero, even though it looks like an "o"? This caused me a bit of confusion when I was manually typing in the command in shell. (I had to change the font to get it to look like a zero in this post.)

ostsjoe

Cadet
I have not seen that error, but there have been a few things I seem to forget during the 10+ times I have reinstalled Crashplan so far. Check the following:

1. Did you accept the agreement terms for the plugin?
2. Do you have NAT, Vimage, and Autostart properly configured for the jail?
3. Can you verify Java and crashplan have started? Try "sockstat -4", and "netstat -na | grep LISTEN | grep 42"
4. Can you ping the jail IP? Can you SSH into the jail?

1. Hmm, I remember seeing and accepting the agreement, but that hasn't popped up since I deleted the first try. Is there somewhere I can get to get it to come back up?

2. NAT, Vimage, and every combination of the two, autostart always on.

3. Not starting, I assumed I had to get the plugin turned on first.

4. Ping: Yes, SSH: Yes

Jaknell1011

Dabbler
1. Hmm, I remember seeing and accepting the agreement, but that hasn't popped up since I deleted the first try. Is there somewhere I can get to get it to come back up?

From the left side, Click Plugins and then single click CrashPlan. You should get the terms and conditions. Scroll to the bottom and accept.
If you click CrashPlan under plugins, and it says something about configuring the headless client, then you already accepted the terms.

If you haven't agreed to the terms, then when you try to turn CrashPlan on from the top bar>Plugins screen, it will turn right back off.

ostsjoe

Cadet
From the left side, Click Plugins and then single click CrashPlan. You should get the terms and conditions. Scroll to the bottom and accept.
If you click CrashPlan under plugins, and it says something about configuring the headless client, then you already accepted the terms.

If you haven't agreed to the terms, then when you try to turn CrashPlan on from the top bar>Plugins screen, it will turn right back off.

That was totally it, thanks.

Jaknell1011

Dabbler
Glad to hear it! I think I did that 3 of the 10 or so times I reinstalled lol

Now that I have this running, I can get into the Crashplan UI, but I can only see the storage inside the jail to backup. This does me no good because I need to backup the data that is outside the jail. I tried Add Storage, but it will not mount for me. Any ideas?

ostsjoe

Cadet
That's kind of the idea of jails, which does make it a pain in the ass for this application. Here is what i'm thinking.

From the main host:
make a directory in your jail's path: mkdir /mnt/<storage>/jails/crashplan_1/mnt/<storage>/<share to backup>
mount that read only to the jail: mount_nullfs -o ro /mnt/<storage>/<share to backup> /mnt/main_pool/jails/crashplan_1/mnt/<storage>/<share to backup>
Enter your jail (jexec 3 /bin/tcsh) and you should now see the files. I think mounting read only is probably the safer option for backing up, but you can also mount read/write.

sully

Explorer
Just out of curiosity, how many people have this Crashplan plugin working properly? I feel like the ratio of problems to success stories falls in the direction of the former. (Perhaps I won't get a very good answer considering this IS the "problem" thread.)

Also Sully, in the very helpful post you have above, could you mention that the "0" following cpuset -l .... is in fact a zero, even though it looks like an "o"? This caused me a bit of confusion when I was manually typing in the command in shell. (I had to change the font to get it to look like a zero in this post.)

Done. I also added the piece about the accepting the Crashplan terms by clicking on the plugin. Thanks

Jens

Dabbler
Thanks Sully, i got it working.
now we just need to get it to autostart :)

I was able to get the Crashplan plugin, in it's current form, working with a combination of steps....

1. Installed Crashplan plugin/jail using the crashplan plug install via the UI.

2. Opened the jail (crashplan_1) and unchecked VIMAGE and checked NAT. Jail > crashplan_1 > edit jail > uncheck VIMAGE and check NAT. (even after I got the JVM going, I still couldn't see the listening IP and port on my network until I disabled VIMAGE and enabled NAT)

3. Started the plugin via the UI. Plugins > Crashplan > Service Status > ON.

3a. Make sure to accept the CrashPlan terms by clicking on Plugins (on the left hand side) > then click Crashplan > an agreement pop-up should appear.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-11-20%2520at%252011.39.03%2520AM.png

4. From a terminal prompt (or whatever you use to SSH), SSH into FreeNAS, login as root, and then access your crashplan_1 jail.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%25209.59.24%2520AM.png

5. Assuming you've edited your jail (see 2) and enabled the plugin (see 3), and you've logged into your jail (see 4) check to see if the CrashPlanEngine port is showing/listening, chances are it's not due to the JVM crashing on launch (why I have no idea). Check the CrashPlanEngine listening port using the "sockstat -4" and look for your jails IP and port "xx.xx.xx.xx:4243"

Example of what the sockstat -4 will look like when the Crashplan engine is not running....
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%25209.59.42%2520AM.png

6. If you don't see the jails IP and port, run the following command (thank you topprospect):
cpuset -l 0 /usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine start

Note: (cpuset -l 0 (The 0 is a zero, not a o... the font markup doesn't clearly define that) Thanks to the folks who pointed that out.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%25209.59.53%2520AM.png

7. After successfully starting the CrashPlanEngine, you should see the jail IP and port listening...

Example of what it'll look like when the Crashplan engine IS running...
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%252010.00.03%2520AM.png

8. To check the status/PID, run the following command (thank you topprospect): /usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%252010.00.12%2520AM.png

9. At this point, the Crashplan engine is running. You'll need to setup your headless client to connect to the Crashplan engine. You'll also need to add storage to the crashplan_1 jail for the engine to backup to the Crashplan cloud.

Take Aways: You will need to start the Crashplan engine manually after each jail or freenas restart. Hopefully this could be resolved in a future update. Otherwise, I've been up and running for a week now without an issue. Are the above steps the "proper" way of resolving the issue, I'm not sure. I know enough to be dangerous and learning more everyday but by no means an expert.

I hope this helps.

Sully

Jens

Dabbler
You can autostart crashplan if you create a /etc/rc.local inside the jail.
Make sure to set rc.local executable, "chmod 775 rc.local"
and then add
to the file.
maybe this could be added to the plugin.

SDGoat

Cadet
Thanks to this thread I was able to get my CrashPlan configured and working on my FreeNAS box. However, I've noticed that I have to restart the CrashPlan engine every couple of days, it looks as if the Jail loses its IP address; stopping and restarting the Jail will get it (the network) back again. Curious if anyone else is having issues. Also if I have to reboot, or the engine fails, I have to actually issue a CrashPlanEngine Stop, and then CrashPlanEngine Start. If I just try and start it, it will fail. Could be my setup, but I have to do it each and every time. I might need to build a script to check the status of the engine to restart it, but if I lose the Jail, I think I would need a second script to check the status of the Jail from time-to-time from the FreeNAS shell.

sully

Explorer
You can autostart crashplan if you create a /etc/rc.local inside the jail.
Make sure to set rc.local executable, "chmod 775 rc.local"
and then add
to the file.
maybe this could be added to the plugin.

Nice!

Byron chilton

Dabbler
I can not get crash plan to start

I have accepted the terms

I have added the tunable

I have even manually added linux_enable="YES" to /ect/rc.config

When I reboot it erases the line in the rc.config

I always get the pop up to add linux_enable=YES when I try to turn on crash plan.

Thanks for any help

Karnage

Dabbler
Thanks to this thread I was able to get my CrashPlan configured and working on my FreeNAS box. However, I've noticed that I have to restart the CrashPlan engine every couple of days, it looks as if the Jail loses its IP address; stopping and restarting the Jail will get it (the network) back again. Curious if anyone else is having issues. Also if I have to reboot, or the engine fails, I have to actually issue a CrashPlanEngine Stop, and then CrashPlanEngine Start. If I just try and start it, it will fail. Could be my setup, but I have to do it each and every time. I might need to build a script to check the status of the engine to restart it, but if I lose the Jail, I think I would need a second script to check the status of the Jail from time-to-time from the FreeNAS shell.

I am having this exact same problem. Thanks for the kick in the right direction with your comment above. At least now I can launch crashplan again.

Hi-Liter

Explorer
I can not get crash plan to start

I have accepted the terms

I have added the tunable

I have even manually added linux_enable="YES" to /ect/rc.config

When I reboot it erases the line in the rc.config

I always get the pop up to add linux_enable=YES when I try to turn on crash plan.

Thanks for any help
Somewhere in the beginning of the thread it says that it should be "linux_load" instead of "linux_enable".

Byron chilton

Dabbler
Somewhere in the beginning of the thread it says that it should be "linux_load" instead of "linux_enable".

I have added:
linux_load="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
linux_load=YES
linux_enable=YES

To:
system > Tunables
/ect/rc.conf
/mnt/drive/jails/crashplan_1/ect/rc.conf

Restarted every time.
I still get the message to add the tunable.

Is there another rc.conf I'm missing?

Thank you

Hi-Liter

Explorer
I'm not sure if manual changes to files in /etc are persisted, have you checked if the tunable is listed in the FreeNAS UI? Check "System -> Tunables" in the UI and add it via the UI if it is not listed there.

Byron chilton

Dabbler
Ok I got it to start by adding all 4 lines:
linux_load="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
linux_load=YES
linux_enable=YES
To
/mnt/drive/jails/crashplan_1/ect/rc.conf

Now I'm trying to configure the headless client but root and password won't log in. How to I find out or setup a login for the jail.
Thank you.

marcevan

Patron
Hey I'm getting stuck somewhere.

Crashplan installed via GUI and accepted term.
Autostarts now thanks to earlier posts.
On client I open tunnel as root to the CP jail no problem. ssh -L 4200:localhost:4243 root@<jail ip>

But, while everything seems to work (sockstat is full up like it should be from other posters), when I open the client Crashplan tool it only sees local drives/directories.

Exactly how is it supposed to see the FreeNAS pool of folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.