Crashplan plugin 3.6.3 service won't start after system reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew076

Patron
Okay - update for those who are having the same "Problems" as I am and not sure what fracai was referring to. fracai was referring to an edit that is explaned well here.
Victor866 was referring to the ui.properties file on your desktop computer (I had no issue with file in my case).

I was able to get the CrashPlan to connect and it is now "analyzing" (I have 1.2 TB pictures/videos etc. so it is going to take a while for that to complete). However, the service is still showing its status as "Off" - even though it appears to be working (we will see if it continues the backup once it is done analyzing as the backup is only 77% complete at this point). Can anyone advise if or to what extent I should be concerned that the Plugin is showing as "Off" but when I run services -e in the shell it is showing as enabled?

Pasquale61

Explorer
For what it's worth, I noticed that on this update, my run.conf had the proper Djava.nio... settings and I did not have to add it back in this time for some reason. However, it did set my memory settings back to default, which is lower than what I usually have mine set at. For this reason, I keep a copy of my previous run.conf and compare it every time an update comes out.

The other thing I noticed is that I had my usual problem after an upgrade where the toggle on/off button in the FreeNas GUI for the Crashplan plugin would not stay on. I was able to get it to stay on by running "/usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine start" in the jail. After I did this, the on/off toggle button started working too. I think someone earlier mentioned they had this same on/off button problem. You can try "/usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status" in the jail to see what is really going on. A reboot might fix the GUI too.

If you want to check your server version, look towards the top of this file after a restart: /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/app.log. Mine says 4.2.0 and all is good...

stualden

Explorer
Sounds like if you have the Djava.nio... problem, that's the first thing to fix. The memory settings may need upping as well. If you still can't get the plugin to stay running, Pasquale61's advice above may help.

You can also check the version number from the interface program by double-clicking on the house in the upper right-hand corner, and typing version in the command line box that shows up.

Andrew076

Patron
okay, so where do I update or set the ram? i have never set it. Crashplan is not it isn't working because it is set on Analyzing and has been now for two days now.

Andrew076

Patron
so I believe I found the ram settings on my desktop computer by following these steps from here

Windows
  1. Stop the CrashPlan service. On most Windows computers this is in the „Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
  2. Open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\CrashPlan and double-click the CrashPlanService.ini file
  3. Look for the following setting: -Xmx512m
  4. Change "-Xmx512m" to -Xmx1024m
  5. Save the file
  6. Start the CrashPlan service
in my case it was at 1024 but I have lots of ram so I increased it to 2048

I then ran "/usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status" in the jail and it said the service was stopped...

so still is not working

stualden

Explorer
If you're using a Windows box just for the user interface, then my guess is that you need to be updating the memory setting on the service which is running over in the FreeNAS jail. You were changing a memory setting on the service on your Windows box, which isn't even being used at all (in fact, you could even go ahead and disable the crashplan service there - I've done that on mine).

So make the same change you outline above, but do it over in /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf (from within the crashplan jail).

I changed mine from 1024 to 2048 and everything seems to be working correctly now. I think I made the change on both the SRV_JAVA_OPTS and GUI_JAVA_OPTS lines, but you might experiment with that, as GUI_JAVA_OPTS may not even get used when you're running headless.

REVISION: Found this helpful page from Code42:

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan..._Settings_For_Memory_Usage_With_Large_Backups

Confirms that the patch is just on SRV_JAVA_OPTS. For me, with 300,000 and 2.5T of files, 2560 appears to be the magic number. Below that, for me, the front-end (running on a Windows 2k8 box) wouldn't run for more than about 30 seconds without shutting down. The back-end service (the FreeNAS plugin) would continue to run, but nothing was being backed up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.