Core to SCALE: Transmission migration

MisterE2002

Patron
Not a guide, but a warning. I am frustrated and going to migrate to another tool. But a warning to other people.

TLDR; Do not change the folder path INSIDE your container. Make the mapping like it was in CORE.
I think the default is "/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads". Keep it that way.

Transmission is really weird. You have a default "Downloads" folder. That is actually also shown PER torrent in the GUI. But the data is *actually* stored first in "incomplete". Only after completion it is moved to "Downloads".

However this path seems also stored binary per torrent (assume in the "resume" file). If you now decide to create a new layout in Docker. For example just "/downloads" and "/incomplete" and you want to "fix" the torrent so you change "/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads" to "/downloads" it is actually moving the data of the "incomplete" folder to "/downloads". After i noticed this problem i moved these incomplete files back to my incompletes folder. But some torrent it refuses to detect again.

Sidenote: Qbittorrent has exactly the same implementation. In some cases torrents will overwrite each other data. So, if you change the foldername afterwards you move the data to "complete".

Last edited:

Ramboxman

Explorer
Forget Transmission, but qbittorent will support it from Truecharts. If you go that route I can share a youtube video that walks through the setup with you.

MisterE2002

Patron
Hi, thanks for your reply. But Qbittorrent has the same broken construction. It can not handle torrents containing the same files. So, torrent 1 will overwrite data of torrent 2.

Only closed source clients seem to work correctly.