Continuous alarm/clear APC UPS

PhilD13

Patron
@Batmanzi
What version of Truenas are you using?
What Driver are you using in Truenas for the UPS?
What does the command line command show?
upsc <your ups name>@localhost
<your ups name> would be the Identifier name you entered in the Truenas UPS setup. It will list a bunch of parameters that come from the UPS. Look over the parameters and see if the UPS is working or just needs charging or a battery replacement.

ThEnGI

Contributor
Hello there, have you been able to solve this?

Nope :-(

I set pollinterval = 30 and the message reduced to 4 per day. Some time less some time more
Seeing that there were no other indications, I'm letting it go as is.

The only thing is that while browsing the NUT parameters I found that the UPS was built 2 months before my purchase. Which confirms my experimental evidence that the battery is good

Batmanzi

Cadet
@Batmanzi

<your ups name> would be the Identifier name you entered in the Truenas UPS setup. It will list a bunch of parameters that come from the UPS. Look over the parameters and see if the UPS is working or just needs charging or a battery replacement.

TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3

APC ups 2 Back-UPS (USB) USB (usbhid-ups)

root@truenas:~# upsc ups
Init SSL without certificate database
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.mfr.date: 2001/01/01
battery.runtime: 1369
battery.runtime.low: 120
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 27.3
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
device.mfr: American Power Conversion
device.model: Back-UPS BX2200MI
device.serial: 9B2334A39033
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/uhid
driver.parameter.synchronous: auto
driver.version: 2.8.0
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.98
driver.version.internal: 0.47
driver.version.usb: libusb-1.0.26 (API: 0x1000109)
input.sensitivity: medium
input.transfer.high: 295
input.transfer.low: 145
input.voltage: 230.0
input.voltage.nominal: 230
ups.beeper.status: disabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.load: 20
ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
ups.mfr.date: 2023/09/08
ups.model: Back-UPS BX2200MI
ups.productid: 0002
ups.realpower.nominal: 1200
ups.serial: 9B2334A39033
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: Done and passed
ups.timer.reboot: 0
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.vendorid: 051d
root@truenas:~#

Hope this helps you figure out whats going on

Batmanzi

Cadet
Nope :-(

I set pollinterval = 30 and the message reduced to 4 per day. Some time less some time more
Seeing that there were no other indications, I'm letting it go as is.

The only thing is that while browsing the NUT parameters I found that the UPS was built 2 months before my purchase. Which confirms my experimental evidence that the battery is good

My battery is brand new too: 2023/09/08

You could try to block the email notifications from being sent but that defeats he purpose of having a notification system int he first place :(

1706519913061.png

homekid

Cadet
Is there any update on this?
I'm also getting the same annoying e-mails about "UPS ups Battery needs replacement." The battery also brand new. Tried other one changed out from other UPS's brand new one too, getting the same message nearly every day.

Also I've an other Linux machnine running NUT server which doesn't complains about changing the battery using the same UPS which TN Scale does complain about.
Cables are the OEM APC ones, the alert shows that I have plenty of remaining battery time... (over 2000 seconds).

keithsplace

Dabbler
Did you figure it out yet?
Sorry I hadn't checked forum lately, just curious whether you figured it out, had a friend had a similar issue,
but his was the charging circuit was over charging and causing greatly reduced battery life. I was able to readjust charge voltage pot
in UPS with a new battery in it, we'll see how it does, time will tell.

PhilD13

Patron
ON some UPS systems if you change the battery, but fail to update the UPS firmware that the battery was changed, then the UPS may continue to say the battery needs replacement based on the age parameter.

Some UPS may also report 100% capacity until the UPS does a load test. The battery can't supply the current, voltage drops rapidly out of spec for the test and the UPS generates a replace battery.

It is possible that one operating system uses different parameters for alarms/alerts than Truenas does in the NUT config or there is a problem with reading from the UPS. There is also a reported issue with NUT 2.8.0 in that it is broken and does not read the UPS state from some UPS systems (Cyberpower SNMP cards for example). 2.8.1 allegedly does. Version 2.8.0 is the one used in Cobia and in DF RC1 (7.x.x is in Bluefin).

Davvo

MVP
If I'm not wrong in the new Dragonfish you can manually update the NUT to the latest release, potentially applying any bugfixes implemented. I have no clue about the differences between latest and TN SCALE's NUT version though: as far as I am concerned they could be the same (though I doubt it's the case).

PhilD13

Patron
You can run the following code to find what version of NUT is being run. In Cobia it is 2.8.0 and Dragonfish RC1 is also 2.8.0. I do nor know about other versions though I remember Blufin was using a version of 7.x.x. I would think if you make changes manually by enabling developer mode in Dragonfish, then your modifications will/may be be overwritten on an update and if anything breaks in Truenas you are on your own to fix it.
Code:
 upscmd -h 

Personally I have run into no issues with my two APC 1500 rack mount systems using the driver "APC ups 3 (various) AP9630 SNMP monitoring card (snmp-ups)" on any of three entirely different systems each using a different version of Truenas (bluefin, Cobia, and Dragonfish RC1 in a VM). The charts in Dragonfish show and track the ups just fine. These systems are all using NUT 2.8.0 (bluefin 7.x.x) and no special config or parameters.