Constant writes to boot device despite moving system dataset

If you think that having an encrypted log path is important for your use case, you are more than welcome to file a feature request for Cobia / DragonFish.
I could file a feature request, but no plans to switch to SCALE.

Glad that at least Core will not have this backported.

sfatula

Guru
Could you show how much writing is being done and also explain a bit more about what you mean in remaining pools? I'm still new to TrueNas. Thanks!
Here's mine below, for remaining pools I showed them here: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...pite-moving-system-dataset.112166/post-777211

Boot Pool.png

ULTIoNT

Dabbler
Is there a feature request for moving the log position already? I really think forcing log to boot pool is an unnecessary change.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is there a feature request for moving the log position already? I really think forcing log to boot pool is an unnecessary change.
If you are running cobia beta and are adversely affected by this change you can file a report on our jira with a detailed explanation of your issues.

Takaani

Cadet
Just FYI starting in Cobia we log exclusively (/var/log) to the boot device. Writes will be unavoidable. Plan accordingly.
That is concerning. I only read the highlights of the beta, but I didn't see that one being listed. I will post on jira. But now I have 2 questions, what if we use a symbolic link/junction? Also, what if we deny write permissions?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That is concerning. I only read the highlights of the beta, but I didn't see that one being listed. I will post on jira. But now I have 2 questions, what if we use a symbolic link/junction? Also, what if we deny write permissions?
The beta highlights are being updated. Why would you deny write permissions to /var/log?

ULTIoNT

Dabbler
I also have a similar question. I know this will be unsupported and discouraged but what if I bind mount another directory to /var/log and restart systemd-journald and syslog-ng? (Perhaps also backing up whatever is in the current logs first) Is that everything needed to make TrueNAS log to a different location?

Edit:
I have tried what I mentioned above but there is still constant writes to the boot drive but I am not sure if that is related to syslog.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP

Takaani

Cadet
The beta highlights are being updated. Why would you deny write permissions to /var/log?
To prevent it from writing. Its usefulness is limited right now for my use case as a small home NAS. I was asking more for a "what if" scenario and checking if it would cause some serious stability issues (perhaps beyond recovery) since you previously mentioned that some things rely on those logs. I'd probably lean more towards ULTIoNT's idea though.