Constant writes to pool under pool/.system/netdata

destate

Dabbler
I have a pool consisting of four 2TB HDDs (no special vdevs). I noticed every few minutes that pool was being written to, despite me not using the pool. I have no services running, no apps installed, and no pool set for apps. However, I was able to find out what the writes were related to by taking a snapshot, then watching "zfs list -o name,written".

It looks like "myPool/.system/netdata-[HASH]" is being written to constantly. Why is that and can I stop it?

Also, I've noticed that when I enable my SMB share, I also have nearly constant writes to "myPool/.system/samba4". What is that all about?

I don't like either of these "constantly writing" scenarios, because my hard drives for this pool are quite noisy

destate

Dabbler
Update: When I do `zfs list`, the mountpoint of these directories is listed as "legacy". Not sure if that's relevant

destate

Dabbler
Solved! My system dataset pool (in System Settings -> Advanced -> Storage) was set to my pool that I didn't want constantly written to! I changed that to my boot pool, and all is good now.

EDIT: ALL WAS NOT GOOD! Everything was great... until I rebooted the system. Grub recovery mode. Messed with that all day. Gave up and tried to reinstall TrueNAS Scale so that it just "updated" without clobbering my configs. That crashed right after formatting the drive... so I lost all my configs. Had to start from scratch. Today was a bad day.

Luckily I kept my keys for my encrypted zpools, so the data isn't gone, but my day sure is.

Last edited: