COBIA Features

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There should be nothing stopping you from running a "jail" and then using portainer/webmin/cockpit or whatever in that.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueCharts docker-compose does provide a solution to manage Docker using third-party tools, but SCALE restricts the mapping of directories, so host path management must be performed twice manually, "SCALE to docker-compose"
and "docker-compose to my app". This greatly increases the workload when more directory mapping and rights management are involved.

In fact, TrueCharts docker-compose is an inelegant compromise.

Hello Hello World,

Yes, we admit that TrueNAS is prioritized for business/enterprise users. We also support this community of technical users running home labs or other projects. Sometime there is a conflict and we prefer a business-safe approach.

Many times, there are chances to make improvements that help individual users.... which are also attractive to business users. Your suggestion of improving the Docker Compose App fits with this. @stavros-k

In general, we'd prefer to focus on specific issues, see if there is community consensus on what is needed and then do it. Improving the issue above would be an example. I'd suggest the right approach is:

1. Start a thread on specific issue. See if there is a workaround that is known by community.
2. Create a suggestion for what needs to be fixed. See if there is any agreement.
3. Create a jira "suggestion" ticket and advertize it for upvoting.
4. iX is then reviewing these tickets for each new release
5. Other developers can also submit code via a pull request

Glad to see that unRAID agree that ZFS is the best file system to use. Not sure if they will contribute to ZFS development, but they should.

Morgan

NickF

Guru
TrueCharts docker-compose does provide a solution to manage Docker using third-party tools, but SCALE restricts the mapping of directories, so host path management must be performed twice manually, "SCALE to docker-compose"
and "docker-compose to my app". This greatly increases the workload when more directory mapping and rights management are involved.

In fact, TrueCharts docker-compose is an inelegant compromise.
Docker Compose is a tricky subject. IX has opted to use Kubernetes to manage containers, rather than docker Ultimately, SCALE is designed for clustering, and clustering applications across multiple nodes is a goal that is coming in future releases (Cobia??Maybe??:smile:)

Now, that doesn't mean that a translation layer couldn't exist. I opened a ticket here: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-121580

Feel free to upvote :)

Ultimately, this should save the devs at IX a bunch of time. Rather than curating a never-ending list of official apps, or relying on TrueCharts, this appears to be a happy medium. It will allow users to make and break their own apps. When some sort of ingress controller logic is implemented (traefik out of the box??) in TrueCommand as part of a clustering wizard, we will be in great shape.

Hello_World

Dabbler
Hello Hello World,

Yes, we admit that TrueNAS is prioritized for business/enterprise users. We also support this community of technical users running home labs or other projects. Sometime there is a conflict and we prefer a business-safe approach.

Many times, there are chances to make improvements that help individual users.... which are also attractive to business users. Your suggestion of improving the Docker Compose App fits with this. @stavros-k

In general, we'd prefer to focus on specific issues, see if there is community consensus on what is needed and then do it. Improving the issue above would be an example. I'd suggest the right approach is:

1. Start a thread on specific issue. See if there is a workaround that is known by community.
2. Create a suggestion for what needs to be fixed. See if there is any agreement.
3. Create a jira "suggestion" ticket and advertize it for upvoting.
4. iX is then reviewing these tickets for each new release
5. Other developers can also submit code via a pull request

Glad to see that unRAID agree that ZFS is the best file system to use. Not sure if they will contribute to ZFS development, but they should.

Morgan
Part of the Jira ballot has been created, please vote if anyone supports it :)

* Request to add the hard disk automatic standby function based on hard disk usage monitoring
* Enhanced SMART monitoring and display functions
* Improved SMART temperature monitoring and standby compatibility

alhsou

Cadet
I'm confused about something. On the TrueNAS homepage, when scrolling down we can see the following planned for Cobia:
1690240131349.png

Yet I've seen somewhere on the forums a recent Q&A where IXSystems basicly said that NVME-OF will maybe be implemented in the future demanding on customer and community demand.

Would be nice to have NVME-OF and especially NVME/TCP as this would be a HUGE selling point for Enterprise DC customers that want this functionality but wth more flexibility than what traditional SAN vendors offer.

Also nice to have it for the home lab ofcourse :)
I've been trying to play around with NVME/TCP for a while now but I couldn't be bothered to shut down my system to insert a spare NVME disk and install CentOS or Debian to set it up.