CIFS Sharing --- Require credentials each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
Hello,

Sorry for my rudimentary question but here goes. Is there a way to setup my FreeNAS server to prompt for admin level credentials each time I connect to a network share originating from my server? The reason I ask is due to the fact that the newest cryptovirus variants are able to attack unmapped network shares. When I accessed the share the first time from my desktop I was prompted for credentials but now that is not the case. I was wondering if there is a way for it to ask each time instead just in case I was to get a ransomware virus it will not easily be able to infect my network share. I have unmapped my network drive in the mean time but I am just trying to be as safe as possible. Thank you!

P.S. The CIFS share I created on FreeNAS used default permissions and allow guest access was NOT checked. I am using the default root account to access the share

m0nkey_

MVP
When I accessed the share the first time from my desktop I was prompted for credentials but now that is not the case.
You must have saved the password. Use 'Credentials Manager' to clear it.
I was wondering if there is a way for it to ask each time instead just in case I was to get a ransomware virus it will not easily be able to infect my network share.
Have you considered enabling snapshots? This will allow you to roll back your data should you be hit by ransomware.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_storage.html#periodic-snapshot-tasks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

Sorry for my rudimentary question but here goes. Is there a way to setup my FreeNAS server to prompt for admin level credentials each time I connect to a network share originating from my server? The reason I ask is due to the fact that the newest cryptovirus variants are able to attack unmapped network shares. When I accessed the share the first time from my desktop I was prompted for credentials but now that is not the case. I was wondering if there is a way for it to ask each time instead just in case I was to get a ransomware virus it will not easily be able to infect my network share. I have unmapped my network drive in the mean time but I am just trying to be as safe as possible. Thank you!

P.S. The CIFS share I created on FreeNAS used default permissions and allow guest access was NOT checked. I am using the default root account to access the share
Snapshots go a long way to mitigate the risk of crypto-malware. But you will still need to worry about lying dormant cyber pathogens. I've heard those are scary things that can only be defeated through sacrificing privacy rights.

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
You must have saved the password. Use 'Credentials Manager' to clear it.
Have you considered enabling snapshots? This will allow you to roll back your data should you be hit by ransomware.

You are both a scholar and a gentleman! Yeah I totally failed to think about stored credentials on my local machine. I will go in there, delete saved credentials, and set it to not remember. Thank you for that

As for snapshots, I did not enable them when I first setup my FreeNAS due to wanting to research the topic before diving into it. After taking the time to read through the guide again it looks simple enough and I will certainly enable that as soon as possible. Thanks again for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.