SOLVED Unable to make password protected CIFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

russoj88

Dabbler
Coming up on a full day on this...

All 3 tries are on an updated (within the last 24 hours, using the GUI) FreeNAS 9.3 system. I am trying to make multiple CIFs shares, which are each individually password protected (sharejames, sharejohn, and sharematt). My client is a windows 7 system.

I first tried following the video posted to youtube by the FreeNASTeam (). Create users, datasets, etc. Somehow I was able to see everyone's shares without ever being prompted for a password. Are the steps that much different from 9.3?

I then tried following the manual (10.4.1. Share Configuration). I was prompted for authentication logging into Matt's share! ...but then was able to access James' and John's share without being prompted for credentials. On a side note, 10.4.1 step 3 says to set the mode, but for me it is grayed out.

I was having issues with the wizard, so I didn't want to use. As a last shot, I tried it. The shares were made, but I have the same problem as try #2.

Any help is appreciated. Am I missing something and this isn't possible with CIFs? Can I have 3 shares, completely non-accessible to others?

Does anyone have this working? It'd be nice to know that it does work and I just messed something up at least.

L

L

You need to makes sure the default permissions are user - read, write, execute, then group and other no permissions.

It is also hard to test on the windows boxes because they tend to do a little/lot of caching(which i haven't figured out how to flush). Reboot in between tries and setups.

russoj88

Dabbler
Hi Linda, when you say default permissions, do you mean the home directory mode? Is this related to the checkbox for "Apply Default Permissions" in the individual share settings? What are the defaults by default and is that what I need to change? When I edit the permissions on the datasets, the permissions are greyed out because they are windows ACLs.

I've set the file and directory masks to 0770 on the global cifs settings, but this did not seem to help. I'm pretty sure this is only for creating new files, but am not certain.

Removing all permissions from "everyone" on the share from the windows side seems to work, so at this point I have a workaround, but I'm assuming this is not the right way to do this.

Thank you for your time. I'm sure this is something trivial I'm missing.

krikboh

Patron
CIFS permissions should be managed from Windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russoj88

Dabbler
Krikboh, maybe this is what I'm missing. Is there no way to manage a CIFS share's permissions (outside of "Allow Guest Access") from the FreeNAS interface?

That won't be an issue as the number of users is low for me, but it seems redundant to have to create the shares on the server, and then log in to each share as each user and remove permissions from "Everyone".

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Krikboh, maybe this is what I'm missing. Is there no way to manage a CIFS share's permissions (outside of "Allow Guest Access") from the FreeNAS interface?

That won't be an issue as the number of users is low for me, but it seems redundant to have to create the shares on the server, and then log in to each share as each user and remove permissions from "Everyone".

That's what Active Directory is meant to solve ;)

Of course, for most home users, Active Directory is more trouble than it's worth.

russoj88

Dabbler
I ended up going through each user and setting each of their permissions from the Windows 7 machine. I already spent too much time on this haha. One more reason to get ALL the users on BSD. Setting up NFS was a breeze.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.