SOLVED Password Protected Share/Dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

David3D

Explorer
Hi guys,

I hope I'm not over-stepping any boundries asking for help on my first post! I've trolled through all the documentation I can find and played around for about three days now trying to figure this out.

I have created a data-set called "Backups" which I would like to be password protected. I have already set all the other data-sets I have for anonymous access, which are working perfectly fine! I don't want anyone screwing around with the disk images I made for all the workstations and want to password protect the share. The backup software writes to the share from what-ever workstation I have it booted on.

At the moment, I've been able to create a user and a group to go with that user and be able to access the share from my laptop so long as the username and password are identical to the laptop's login details as specified in the documentation on the Wiki. Now, I had it set up differently before. I was able to type in the password that was prompted of me and access the share from anywhere. I got back to work the next morning to find that it does not work any longer.

Is there documentation regarding setting this up specifically? Is it possible to have a share accessable from anywhere with a password?

I'm not sure what other information you may require, so let me know and I will get it to you ASAP.

Build: FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13)

David3D

Explorer
OK.

Solved one problem by finding another. I have set FreeNAS up on 192.168.1.100. I can access the share perfectly fine with \\192.168.1.100 but not \\myserverhere.
I've found another thread with a similar/identical issue, but no replies.

Anyone have any suggestions?

David3D

Explorer
I stumbled across the solution to my hostname issue the other day.

Under the IPV4 TCP/IP, I simply Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP under the WINS tab after clicking Advanced. Fixed it for all Windows XP workstations and the Vista machine that was playing up. I've also sused out the permissions too. All workstations are asking for a password in order to connect to the share, which is what I wanted.

On to the next problem...FTP permissions, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.