Not able to get a password prompt for SMB share

flclkun

Cadet
So I've tried numerous times to create a password protected SMB share. I've created a dataset and set the owner to a single owner (unix file permissions, and only user have rwx). Then I created a SMB mounted to that volume with said dataset. I've ensured that guest users are not allowed as well. But when I attempt to access that share from my windows 10 pc i never receive a password prompt. I can get right into the prompt and create files. I've restarted my pc, my freenas server, and SMB services and no matter what, I cannot seem to password protect the SMB share.

Is there something I'm missing?

statalently

Dabbler
If it's an SMB share for Windows clients, in Pools -> Dataset -> Edit Options, I would set the 'Share Type' to Windows.
I have password protected SMB shares working using Active Directory, but I don't know about single, local users. Good luck!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So I've tried numerous times to create a password protected SMB share. I've created a dataset and set the owner to a single owner (unix file permissions, and only user have rwx). Then I created a SMB mounted to that volume with said dataset. I've ensured that guest users are not allowed as well. But when I attempt to access that share from my windows 10 pc i never receive a password prompt. I can get right into the prompt and create files. I've restarted my pc, my freenas server, and SMB services and no matter what, I cannot seem to password protect the SMB share.

Is there something I'm missing?

Are you using the same username / password combination on the PC and FeeNAS server?