CIFS/SMB Share Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcclure937

Contributor
I am following the FreeNAS User Guide Section 10.4 for Windows (CIFS) shares. The datasets that I wish to share are below:
  • /mnt/tank/media
  • /mnt/tank/backup
I have enabled CIFS sharing for these mount points (2 CIFS shares) but am having one hell of a time accessing via Windows. I enabled guest access on the media share and I can browse just fine now. This seems to indicate this is a permissions problem on the actual directories. If I disable guest access I am prompted for a password and access is denied.

I do not want to muck with the security on the datasets too much because I have 'media' user and 'media' group given R/W/E so my SAB, CP, SR, and other plugins have appropriate access. When I originally created the datasets they defaulted to Windows permissions but I changed that over to UNIX permissions and removed the Windows ACLs. The reason I did this was the plugins I have installed play nicer with the UNIX permissions. The additional Windows ACLs were causing issues.

What is the best way to troubleshoot? I can provide more information tonight when I have access to the FreeNAS box.

My Primary Use Cases:
1. Access via Kodi clients to play media
2. Access via Windows PCs to backup files
3. Access via Windows PCs to navigate and modify media (if needed)

Thanks!

Are you using a FreeNAS user and password?(A user you would have added through the GUI) And if so, does this user have permissions for those directories?

bmcclure937

Contributor
I think I figured this one out. The Windows machine I was using for testing also had old logon credentials cached so it was causing issues when I would tweak settings and test on my local PC. I would run into access issues due to this. I cleared the cached credentials and it seems to be helping.

Last edited:

bmcclure937

Contributor
Are you using a FreeNAS user and password?(A user you would have added through the GUI) And if so, does this user have permissions for those directories?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this was exactly my issue. I thought I had properly added the users to groups via the WebGUI but I never completed this configuration.

Also, during testing I was running into issues with credentials being cached and messing up connections. I used the following to fix it:

Code:
net use

List existing shares that have been authenticated.

Code:
net use * /DELETE

To clear the cached credentials.

Yes, these steps came from the User Guide but I failed to read them before!

bmcclure937

Contributor
Now I need to dig in and come up with a better security/permission structure down the road. At least now the datasets are accessible via CIFS to valid users.

Sounds good. Glad to hear you got things sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.