Using CIFS shares with UNIX permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike360x1

Contributor
Hi there,

So, in my server, I currently have datasets setup for access from a CIFS share with unix permissions so I can have my jails access these datasets. Problem is, I've heard of potential problems or instabilities of using CIFS with unix permissions and how thats not recommended.

I've heard that FreeNAS supports Samba 3 which does work with CIFS shares. however, Samba 4 does not support Unix permissions, :( (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm worried that when FreeNAS 10 rolls around, there will be no more CIFS support for unix permissions anymore

So, I'm wondering, what would be the best solution to setup CIFS (or windows for that matter) to connect to unix permission shares?

Side note: I am the only tech savvy individual in my household and so if I could keep the simplicity of CIFS (opening a windows browser and seeing that directory as if it was local) just for the other people in the house, that would be a ++.

I would appreciate your assistance. :)

Thank you in advance,
Michael L.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I am in your same boat. Everything has been working great for me for some time now but having read about the discouraged practice of sharing CIFS with unix permissions after I set things up. I am hesitant to change things as they are working but as you stated, a change will most likely eventually be forced.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi there,

So, in my server, I currently have datasets setup for access from a CIFS share with unix permissions so I can have my jails access these datasets. Problem is, I've heard of potential problems or instabilities of using CIFS with unix permissions and how thats not recommended.

Try to use Windows permissions type. It will probably work, but depends on what you're doing in the jail. In most situations you will have no problems as long as you configure the jail correctly (adding storage to it via the webgui rather than sharing the entire jail via samba), and configure permissions correctly. Many times people want to use Unix permissions type because they want to be able to throw their hands up in the air and "chmod 777" all the things.

I've heard that FreeNAS supports Samba 3 which does work with CIFS shares. however, Samba 4 does not support Unix permissions, :( (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm worried that when FreeNAS 10 rolls around, there will be no more CIFS support for unix permissions anymore

That's all wrong. Samba4 has been in FreeNAS for a very long time and has nothing to do with "Unix" permissions vs "Windows" permissions.

So, I'm wondering, what would be the best solution to setup CIFS (or windows for that matter) to connect to unix permission shares?
Probably not. This is a matter of defaults and how FreeNAS is intended to be used. There are workarounds for not using ACLs on samba shares, but I can't guarantee that these workarounds will work in future FreeNAS versions.

Side note: I am the only tech savvy individual in my household and so if I could keep the simplicity of CIFS (opening a windows browser and seeing that directory as if it was local) just for the other people in the house, that would be a ++.

@m0nkey_ has a video somewhere around here detailing how to set up permissions. That'd be a good place to start.

mike360x1

Contributor
That's all wrong. Samba4 has been in FreeNAS for a very long time and has nothing to do with "Unix" permissions vs "Windows" permissions.
My mistake. I got this misunderstanding from cyberjock's FreeNAS ppt guide (This is the slide I'm referencing: http://puu.sh/rs8jM/1d2c7abf81.jpg ). In this slide, he strongly recommends against using windows shares with UNIX permissions.

Try to use Windows permissions type. It will probably work, but depends on what you're doing in the jail. In most situations you will have no problems as long as you configure the jail correctly (adding storage to it via the web GUI rather than sharing the entire jail via samba),

Well, I have setup my datasets in UNIX permissions for a couple of reasons:
1. Managing permissions is so much faster in GUI than using windows ACL.
2. I have specific permissions for some of my jails that I would like to enforce. I think Monkey's tutorial does not cover windows permissions while still being able to change permissions for plugins.
3. When I need to modify a permission for someone else's data set that I have no access to, I need to log in as their user and change it that way. (There's likely a solution to this but I haven't spent the time looking for it)

Probably not. This is a matter of defaults and how FreeNAS is intended to be used. There are workarounds for not using ACLs on samba shares, but I can't guarantee that these workarounds will work in future FreeNAS versions.

And that is what I am worried about. And because Microsoft -- being the company that it is -- does not allow mounting NFS shares on anything but Enterprise versions. : (

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
My mistake. I got this misunderstanding from cyberjock's FreeNAS ppt guide (This is the slide I'm referencing: http://puu.sh/rs8jM/1d2c7abf81.jpg ). In this slide, he strongly recommends against using windows shares with UNIX permissions.
That's odd. Well, Samba3 vs Samba4 isn't really an issue. Outside of creating an AD DC, the two are largely similar. Same config options.

Well, I have setup my datasets in UNIX permissions for a couple of reasons:
1. Managing permissions is so much faster in GUI than using windows ACL.
Perhaps I'm odd, but I rarely if ever have to manage permissions once I initially set them.

2. I have specific permissions for some of my jails that I would like to enforce. I think Monkey's tutorial does not cover windows permissions while still being able to change permissions for plugins.
This is heavily dependent on the particular plugin you're talking about and what you're trying to achieve. There are some applications that will try to alter unix mode bits on files and crash (or fail in other less obvious ways) if there are ACLs on files. If the application you are running in a jail is one of these, then you have to use Unix permissions type (but this should be the minority of cases and something you test for first).

3. When I need to modify a permission for someone else's data set that I have no access to, I need to log in as their user and change it that way. (There's likely a solution to this but I haven't spent the time looking for it)
On this count, ZFS ACLs are a very good solution. Just grant your admin user/group "full control" over all your shares. But if permissions are configured correctly, you shouldn't have to be going in places and modifying things. I think I've done that about one or two times in the past 6 months.

I wrote up a bare-bones overview of Samba permissions here: https://wiki.freenas.org/index.php/Methods_For_Fine-Tuning_Samba_Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.